Tire Dressing?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by ChosenGSR, May 27, 2006.

1. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

I need advice from the know :o

I always used these spray type foam dressing and they ended up making my rims oily which in turn made them black really fast. Recently I went out and bought Black Magic Tire Wet Express, which was very easy to apply and didn't get everywhere due to its "handle" like design. I was very impressed with the longevity of the shine. This morning however when I cleaned my rims with p21s cleaner it got on the tires and i guess mixed in with the remaining gel, the result is white like gel on the tire itself which I don't even know how to get off before I reapply the tire dressing. I was stupid enough to try and use a sponge, which in turn ruined the sponge because it has the gel all over it.

Where am I going wrong with this? I want a good tire dressing that is easy to apply, lasts at least half a week, that doesn't get all over my rims (unlike the sprays) and doesn't get white when wheel cleaner gets on it. Am I just looking at the wrong type of dressing?
    :Owned: :bowdown:

2. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

My favorite is Meguiar's #38, applied with a tire swipe. Lasts quite a while and looks good, easy to apply.

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Ive always been a big fan of Eagle1's A2Z wheel and tire cleaner. You might have better luck getting that remaining residude off with it.

As for tire shit, Eagle1 Wet Tire Shine has been what i use. It lasts preaty well, not as long as somthing like #38, but i dont like the shiney look of 38, where as with the E1:WTS i can control the level of shine down to almost a matte like satin finish.

And as much as i hate to admit it.
    THe new Armor All works well too. Hell, even Scott uses it, that has to say somthing.

4. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

I've found #38 to be one of the more matte dressings I have used :dunno: I've probably tried 15 different ones.

Another thing to remember is different tires take dressings differently. The same dressing on one tire may looking shinier than another. Michelin's tend to have a more shiney/glossy apperance for example.

5. Tomee

Tomee Heel and Toe OT Supporter

used PB BnB, it was ok, wasnt overly impressed with it

6. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Go with gels like the armour all or Megs. They absorb into the tire better and provide longer lasting protection and shine.

7. Paulie Walnuts

:bigthumb::bigthumb:

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Use a tire swipe to apply tire protecant and you won't have overspray problems.

9. Paulie Walnuts

But you will need to let it dry a bit or you WILL get sling. Even the armoral gel I use needs to dry 30 mins for there to be no sling.