Tire crew: Inexpensive tire better than Falken Ziex 512?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Falconer, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I have an 02 Civic. The stock tires (Firestone 890s or something) were the worst tires I've ever used in my life. They were bad in the dry, and absolutely horrible in the rain.

I replaced them with Falken Ziex 512s which were much better on dry and wet, but they still kind of suck in the snow. I got them for like $43 each from vulcantire.com.

Now they are almost bald, and I'm wondering if there's any all-season tires that are better for around that price (<$50 per tire).

My tires are 205/60/15 if that matters.

Thanks.

2. ///M

///M New Member

i had some ziex on my 04 civic, they are okay but the sidewalls are so FUCKING SOFT :o

if you go with a 205/50/15 you'll have a lot more options, but i haven't looked at any all-seasons lately, or had any (which i liked) on my cars within the last 1.5 years or so i :dunno: what to recommend to you

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

My stock size was 185/65/15. I went to 205/60/15 to get 2cm more width but keep (almost) the same overall diameter. 205/50/15 would be a little lower and throw off my speedo a little.

But you're right, there are more options at that size.

4. silver280zx

silver280zx New Member

my 280zx came with 205/60/15 tires, and i just put some falken ze 512s on, and i lovem, they are a great replacement for the good year eagle gt's i used to have, those good years, a 60,000 mile tire lasted me only 25,000 miles, and i didnt even drive em hard.

5. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

^^ you won't love those 512s once you put a few miles on them...When I hit 15-20k they went downhill FAST.

There aren't many options with that size. If you go 205/65/15 you can get some toyo proxes 4's but your spedometer will read 2.4% too fast (when traveling 60mph it will read 58.6)

You're lucky that your tires are that cheap. My 225/50/17s are at least $100/piece :( I'd just go with the falkens again. They're cheap and good at first, but since they're not too much to replace just do it every 30k miles or so.

6. Knightmare69

Knightmare69 Hater

Kumho's?

7. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Yes, dude. I noticed that. I thought the 512s were awesome at first, but after 15k miles or so I was like "wtf happened to my awesome tires?" However, at $42 each, I can't really complain that much.

Are the Toyo Proxes that much better?

I have 7" wide rims. Could I fit a 215/55/15 on there? Or 210 (do they even make a 210?)?

edit - I need to order tires like tomorrow. Mine are down to the warning nub thing on the tread.

8. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Any specific model recommendations?

9. ///M

///M New Member

no 210s, doesn't exist

you could fit a 215/55/15 on there, i'd go with a 205/50/15 though, like i mentioned earlier...more options at that size, once again, and even though it'll be slightly smaller than your stock tires, your acceleration will improve. the speedometer would only be about 2-3 mph off when going 60mph

where do you live, and how bad are the winters/rain?

10. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Chicago. Winters can suck balls (anywhere from a light snow cover on the roads to 12" a night). Rain can be heavy.

11. ///M

///M New Member

12. ///M

///M New Member

hmm, pretty ridiculous conditions

perhaps look around on craigslist and find a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires (those civics can fit 14s), and then just buy some tires for the summer time. a lot of tires that are labeled as "all-season" are really only good for dry and wet conditions, not much snow.

edit: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/pts/288992552.html
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/pts/287580824.html

you could probably talk down either of those people :dunno:

13. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Thanks for the links, dude.

14. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Kumho ECSTA ASXs look good, and tirerack has them for a good price (<$50) but they're sold out. Everywhere else wants $60-80 for my size.

And I'm reading good things about the cheapest tire in my size (205/60/15), the Fuzion HRi. It's like $44 per tire, but it's getting really good reviews. wtf? I'm conditioned to think that cheap tire = crap performance, but so many good reviews! Are they all shills? What do I do?! One guy even said he put them on his Porsche. Reviews here ---> click.

And then there's the Falken 512s that I know are awesome until you get 15k miles on them.

Hmmmm...

15. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

Dunlop DZ101:bigthumb:

16. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

17. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Yeah but they're out of stock and expensive everywhere else. Do you know of anyone else that sells that tire for < $50?

18. Knightmare69

Knightmare69 Hater

19. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Does not carry Kumho. But they have good prices it seems.

$62 each for the Kumhos.

20. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I used to have a set of Ziex's on my old Mazda; they stuck like glue as long as the road was dry, and slid like grease on water. Sounds like you've had somewhat better of an experience.

Try Michelin Energy MXV4+. I've also had those, and while they're not as sticky as the Pilot Exaltos I have now, they stuck more than well enough to keep a Civic on the road and they can handle rain/snow pretty well. You're not going to find a tire that's great in all circumstances.

21. ///M

///M New Member

i've heard good things about those fuzions too, forgot about those. iirc fuzion is owned/made by bridgestone/firestone, so they aren't just some no-name company.

22. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Eww, my old Firestones were death.

I was looking at the Hankook Icebears. Are those only winter tires? They got good reviews on the dry and wet, too. It's March so winter is almost over, but still.

What makes a "winter" tire different from an all-season tire? The rubber compound? The tread? Something else?

23. ///M

///M New Member

usually more tread depth, harder rubber, tread pattern. i wouldn't recommend running dedicated winter tires year round. it'll make your car handle like shit when it's dry.

also, you said you had a bad experience with firestones in the past...i was wondering if you were referring to the stock bridgestone potenzas that came with the civic. if so, those are horrible tires, and they are OE tires on a lot of cars (civics, imprezas, toyotas). regardless, since the fuzions have some good user ratings backing them, and are made by a pretty reputable tire manufacturer, i'd say they are a good bet.

a lot of the kumhos, while they say they are all seasons, they are pretty much death when it comes to snowy conditions, and only marginal in the rain. most of their tread designs don't help as far as snow driving goes, as well.

24. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

They were Firestones FR690s or something. Worst tires ever. I was reading reviews online of these tires and the generally concensus was like "Dry: 2, Wet: 1, Snow: 1." Seriously, my Ziex 512s were better in the rain than the Firestones were on dry ground.

Sounds like I'm gonna go either with the Fuzions or the Falkens.

Is there a certain type of tread pattern that you can manually identify to know that a tire is good in the water or anything? I seemed to think that tires like this (top view if the tire was turned 90 to the side): >>>>>>> were good in the water. I'm not sure why I thought that.

edit - everyone's been a huge help in this thread. Thanks.

25. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

Yeah craptenza RE-92's are the worst tires available...yet they cost more than twice the price of a much better tire... :greddy: They must have a deal with auto manufacturers or something so that people that don't know any better drop a crapload of money on POS tires just because they're what came on the car from the factory.