A&P Tips on urban landscape/building?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by cyc1120, Jul 26, 2009.

1. cyc1120

cyc1120 OT Supporter

Hi all,

I've only started photography for about 2 weeks, so please go easy on me. :eek4:

So I've walked around the city for the whole afternoon today and took a whole lot of pics. I realized how they are not all that great after I'm back home and uploaded them to my computer. I have included a few of them and hope you guys can critique/give me some advice.

Do you guys also have some advice/tips on taking pictures of the urban landscape or buildings in general?

Thanks in advance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

what camera you using? you need to meter the darker areas so they aren't completely dark

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

4. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

1 underexposed and no real subject to draw the eye

2 again a little underexposed. Try getting a different angle on the hotel (i assume that's your intended subject.) You've cut off part of your subject with no apparent gain or purpose. What are you trying to show the viewer with this photo?

3 What is your subject here? The building in the background, or the fountain in the foreground?

4 You horribly underexposed your subject, and blew out the sky in the process. Change your metering mode from average to either center weighted, or spot, meter off your subject, adjust settings accordingly, then take your shot. this one is decently composed, but horribly exposed.

5 I actually like what you did here, composition wise, but you're still a little underexposed. A little post processing might really help this photo as well.

5. Drunken Karnie Midget

Or you can start by reading the stickies posted in this subforum.

6. cyc1120

cyc1120 OT Supporter

I'm using a Fuji S1500 (dslr wannabe :hsugh:). I think you're talking about the picture of the statue. I did try to meter from the statue but I don't know why it end up looking so dark.

I'll try to find a copy of the book... seems interesting. :naughty:

7. Drunken Karnie Midget

Might be the metering mode that you're using. Not sure if your camera is capable of metering differently, but that's something you'll want to look into.

8. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I really like #1, the rest are more snap shotty. Def underexposed in all of them.

Another important part of digital photography is calibrating your monitor as well as you can. You can buy a tool to do this nearly perfect. I myself just eyeball it, but I'm a pro at color calibrating since its my day job so I can get it close enough.

9. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

In that situation if you can set your camera on "spot metering" you'd have gotten the statue exposed right, but you would have blown the leaves.

What you can do if your camera can do it is meter off the leaves then use exposure comp and bump it up some until you find a good compromise.

Bottom line, thats gonna be a hard shot to get right until you use fill flash, then it will come out really well.

10. cyc1120

cyc1120 OT Supporter

Thanks for the comments. All this time, I thought these pics were correctly exposed. I guess I gotta go read more on the basics. :hsd:

11. cyc1120

cyc1120 OT Supporter

I know it's difficult/long to answer, but what makes the difference between a snapshot and a picture?

I agree that most of the shots I posted are quite snap shotty. How can I change it so that it's less of a snap shot?

12. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I understand what your saying. Photography to some will always look like a snap shot to someone else. The best tip I can give in that case is to think about framing, don't cut off important parts of the image, don't have distracting lines/objects in the scene.

Most importantly try to shoot subjects that will be interesting and shoot them in a way that will reveal the interesting quality best. Thats a tall order for sure. When I'm shooting landscapes/buildings I see the same building for months and then it hits me how it would look good. I still end up waiting for that moment though:)

13. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

He's only going to be able to do one or the other, unless he's doing HDR.

14. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I drove past this same school house for probably a year before I got the look I was waiting for. It took me many hours in Photoshop to get the mood I wanted. I have it hanging in my house, I've displayed and sold a few at shows, and some love it and it doesn't do it for some people, but I love these types of photos and in the end all that really matters is your enjoyment and/or your customers.

[​IMG]

15. Drunken Karnie Midget

i gave him advice on how to expose his subject, rather than the background. Fuck HDR, or use a GND.

16. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

Regardless of how he meters, he's only going to be able to expose for one or the other