A&P Tips on shooting live music?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Dan-blackline, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Dan-blackline

Dan-blackline Registered Sex Offender

Hey, I'm shooting a gig on Friday night for a friend of mine, and I want to get the best results possible. I've done one before, but my batteries ran out so it didn't exactly go to plan.

So far my plans were, before they start, setup a mode for A, S and M because I'll know the lighting conditions and can work out the settings, one for long shutter, one for short shutter and one for flash, then I can switch between the different settings really quickly.

I'll have about 6 songs to get as many varied photos as possible, anyone got any tips who's done this before?

I'll be using a Nikon D70s.

2. mojito

mojito New Member

3. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

huh? wouldnt you just want to use manual if you're going to do test shots before hand?

4. Dan-blackline

I wanted to get a variety of different style photos, I figured it would be quicker to change modes than to adjust settings

5. 00soul

not sure how it is on nikons, but with my canon when you switch from apature to shutter modes, there are no saveable settings (i don't think...)...when switching between the two you have to freshly meter the lightning

6. joy division

joy division New Member

big venue? small venue? Small- get up front.

Only use manual always :o

Not really but yeah...nikon...strike against you, you'll want highest iso you have- 1.4 or 1.8 fixed, whatever fixed you got. Don't bother switching shit around, just use one (I usually have a 50 1.4 and 35 f/2- one in my pocket, works out fine...even w/tightish pants). Act like you know what you are doing and you belong there and are important- people will move out of your way a little bit.

7. Dan-blackline

Yeah small venue, I'm hoping it won't be too crowded either, what with it being so close to Christmas and this venue being notorious for poor attendance.

And yeah, the ISO thing sucks, I imagine I'll leave it on 800 cos 1600 is a bit too noisy, my lens doesn't have a huge aperture either cos it's only the kit one, but I'm sure I'll make do.

Yeah, I just checked and it doesn't save the settings, my old Fuji did so I assumed the Nikon would, it's a really handy feature for stuff like this.

No worries, manual mode all the way, and cheers for the link Viper.

8. 00soul

you can underexpose 2 stops to get a faster shutter speed and lighten it in photoshop if needed

9. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

unless its a canon, i wouldn;t suggest pushing the post too much if you are shooting 800 or 1600 speeds, otherwise noise will definately become a problem.