GUN Tips on buying a bolt gun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by phoenixTX, Mar 17, 2009.

1. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I need some tips on buying my first bolt gun.

I'm looking for something for mainly punching paper, semi-long distances (out to about 500 yards is about all I have available). Most of my shooting will be at 100-200 yards probably. This rifle will occasionally be used for hunting (whitetail or feral hog, nothing larger).

With that said, I've found a used Remington 700 in .243Win. It has a synthetic stock, but I'm considering it even as a barreled action for building a decent rifle over time. I honestly don't know exactly which model (and I haven't been able to decipher most of the models listed on Remington's site anyway), but I'm supposed to go look at it tomorrow.

This will be my first real bolt gun. Numerous handguns, a few ARs, a 10/22, etc... so I'm not new to guns, but new to bolt actions. Any tips for what to look for or what to look out for? I will probably get it just as a starter rifle and then get a 'nicer' model later when I know a little bit more about them, I just want to make sure I'm not getting a piece of crap.

I'm reading stuff at the Sniper's Hide now, but there's so much info ... guess I need some basics on picking a decent starter rifle.

2. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Paging phrozenlikwid

3. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

bump for day crew .... I'm going to look at the rifle today after work.

Anyone have any links on basic info on Rem 700s? Basic differences in models? Serial number series to avoid? Stuff like that?

4. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

check out marlin? i'm eyeing marlin in .22 lr from them

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

What are you wanting exactly? Lots of this has been covered; search for "rifle" or "700" and there's a thread that has a compilation of most of these responses.

That 243 would do everything you are wanting it to do, but you need to roll your own to take advantage of the 6mm bullet selection. 308 is the "default" chambering for someone who is asking these kind of questions, and doesn't reload.

As for specific models..... I dunno, pick one. They are pretty much all the same action, the difference is in stocks, barrel contours, and finish. Stay the fuck away from Remington detachable magazine models, the stupid expensive newer models (XTR, XCR, etc)..... and that's about it. Anything else is fair game, and I'd be looking to snag the cheapest heavy barreled action. Most of the stocks that Remington puts on rifles are complete dogshit or not far off, but some will bring money on the used market (hogue/HS precision). I usually buy strictly with the intent to sell those stocks to defer more cost of the actual stuff I want (action/barrel/trigger/bottom metal).

6. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

I want a 308 700 pretty bad. Think I'm going to buy an M1A first though.

7. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

Thanks Phrozen, I guess that's kind of what I was looking for. Like I said, I'm really looking at this as a barreled action... I'll be replacing the stock shortly I'm sure. I just wasn't sure if the action itself was different from model to model. If they are all pretty much the same action, then I'm good to go and I can build from there.

I guess reading stuff at Snipers Hide was kind of a detriment. There are guys over there getting all excited about a "C-prefix serial number" or whatever ... so I wasn't sure if there was something I was missing on picking out a specific Rem 700 action.

8. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Many of the guys on SH are going for correct "spec" builds based on the various military designated SWS's, much of which being fueled by actual return stocks being dumped onto the market.

Unless you are trying to replicate a military weapon, you really don't care. Personally, I prefer older actions myself as I don't care for the J-Lock (look it up, someone had written a good guide on them on SH), or the newer style trigger.

308 barreled actions are usually fairly easy to find on the used market. Use that RiverofGuns.com site, and search the various sniper/tactical/varmint/hunting sites for snags. I've scored several that way. Pawn shops and gun shops can hold treasures, but I usually notice more 700's in stock around deer season time.

If you are buying a barreled action, be sure to ask if it comes with a trigger, and bottom metal and/or magazine assembly. Triggers are about $35-60, and factory bottom metal is about $60ish when buying separate. What are you plans as far as stock/bottom metal assembly are concerned?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  9. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Check out a Savage or Tikka T3 too, too many people recommend 700s because that's what their friend/dad/co-worker has. They are fine guns, but the short-action in .308 has a ridiculously long throat, and will not be as accurate as a Tikka T3 or a Savage since you can't seat a bullet anywhere near the rifling. I didn't buy one for this very reason. If I wanted to re-barrel my rifle right out of the box, I would have bought a 700, but that's another $400 on top of your purchase.

10. People recommend the 700 because it's a great gun with almost limitless potential. The fact that the throat is cut a little long doesn't stop people from shooting very well with them, even in stock form.

11. 1fastz28

1fastz28 OT Supporter

i have a bolt savage and its by far my favorite gun

12. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

13. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Like I said, I don't view them as bad guns, I just like features of the Tikka T3 I have better. The 20 degrees less of bolt lift is nice, sub M.O.A. accuracy out of the box is too. Plus, a T3 is the same price as a 700 SPS, way better value in terms of accuracy. Plus, if you go hunting the 6 1/4lb weight helps.

My father has an SPS in .30-06 and I have taken it out a few times, it was enjoyable. The accuracy wasn't as good as my Tikka and the trigger was not great out of the box.

14. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

I'm actually buying a complete Rem 700 in .243 with synthetic stock (with a cheap Bushnell 3-9x40 mounted). I only mentioned it as a barreled action as that is all I'm after. I don't care about the stock as I will be replacing it, but I will have all parts/components.

I'm not even sure what I want to build yet ... basic heavy barrel tactical rifle, but I still would like to keep it somewhat lightweight and usable (not just a bench rifle) so I'll probably keep it at 20" with a contour. I like the looks of the entry-level sniper rifle package they sell on Sniper Central, but I'm not really sold on any specific components yet. I don't even know where to start on the bottom metal assembly ... so I'm doing some reading. Any tips would be appreciated.

15. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

So did you find out what model 700 the 243 is? Heavy barrel? Fluted? Blue/stainless? Stock have two forward sling studs, or one?

As far as bottom metal and stock choices goes..... It depends. If you are dead set on using something like AICS mags, or Seekins, or any of the aftermarket setups, you will probably want to source a rifle with a BDL inlet. If not, that leaves your options more open to used stuff. Specifically, check out the McM 'net specials page; there are some good deals to be had there, but you need to be quick on the trigger to get them.

16. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Jewell trigger FTW :drool:

17. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

It looks like the standard BDL on Remington's website, except in synthetic. 22" matte black barrel with standard sites, single forward sling stud, but no floor plate under the mag.

[​IMG]

I can't figure out exactly what model it is. I can't find any other 700s in synthetic with sites, so it's a previous model. It does have a j-bolt lock so it is a fairly recent model. Seller says he's had it out shooting 5 or 6 times, so I'm figuring 50-100 rounds through it.

18. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Oh, that sounds like a ADL, or what now is usually referred to as the SPS series. Cool Cool.

What direction you thinking about heading in with it?

19. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

Yep, just a basic ADL ... but now it's MY ADL :wiggle: so I'm pretty happy with it.

I cleaned it last night, adjusted the trigger ... even though that's a no-no, the factory 8-9 lb pull was ridiculous. Now it's at about 3 pounds with no take-up and no overtravel.

For now, I'm just going to shoot it. Even in factory form, the rifle probably shoots better than I do. Heading out to a friends place on Saturday. He said he has a couple spots that will work for 300-400 yard shots. Eventually, I'll probably put a new barrel and stock on it. The factory stock is a real piece of crap.