GUN Tips for steadyness?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Windofchange, May 29, 2008.

1. Windofchange

Windofchange New Member

Ive been shooting a long time so have alot of experience and spoken to local members and such.
    Just wondering if anyone has any tips I might not have heard of before.

2. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

be more specific in what you're asking

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

pistol, rifle or shotgun. Your not going to get very useful technique from the internet. You got to get training, or really good practice such as competition shooting. You can shoot for years but if it was with bad technique it's worse than starting off as a complete noob. To break it down to it's simplest terms it's stance, grip, trigger control, sight picture, and breathing. It's a lot like martial arts in the focus, training, and mindset.

4. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

5. Fathr O'Blivion

Fathr O'Blivion New Member

Lay off the coffee... :big grin:

6. Windofchange

Windofchange New Member

Thats basicaly my position, I have been shooting casually for a long time without moving into or training for competition.

It's sitting/kneeling rested and prone full bore rifles.

I am not looking for some miracle technique or anything. I am a skinny person so I lack body weight as a dampener. My fellow club members have guided me on technique lately at my request but I am still having difficulty in this area.

7. Admitted

Eat more?

For further reference see Broly Crew.

8. Windofchange

Windofchange New Member

Believe it or not but asking a skinny person to eat more can be as difficult as asking an obese person to lose weight.

9. Admitted

How do you think those obese people got that way?:hsugh:

10. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

breath

or simply

front sight, pull trigger

get those 2 right and you're shots will go where you want everytime

11. mvizos

mvizos New Member

dedication. You sit there, and you're full. But you force it down...like a man should.

that, and brazilian steakhouses...all the food of a buffet, but none of the calorie burning walks to get food.

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

3 postition is a lot different that what I do for rifle (3 gun). There is going to be some wobble in the sights. With practice you can really reduce the amount of movement. there really is not eliminating it completely. The trick is to anticipate and time when the sights pass through the target and break the shot then. Also it with practice it seems like time slows. thus the sights are on target longer. Then it's just working the positions. As a skinny guy you have the advantage that you can get more flat. Your breathing is also going to be better. You want to try to lower your heart rate. the lower the better. The really good guys seem like they are half asleep or in a trance. When setting up for the shot you need to find your rythum. I like to take a few deep breaths to oxygen up. then another full breath, release 1/3, hold and shoot. If I don't see the shot in a 3 seconds I rebreath. You don't want to oxygen starve as your vision suffers.

Also take care of your vision. Keep your blood suger up. this means knowing how to eat before and during a match. Also stretch and stay limber. It helps with stress, heart rate and relax.

Sorry this is not my specialty, if you asked how to race a rifle I could probably do a better job. I am going to do some more high power to see if I can transfer some of it to my game.

13. SNDP

SNDP New Member

I have a good one we used in the army for prone, you can do it in the house:

put a target on the wall, and load up a snap cap. Get into position, and have a friend lay a quarter across the end of the barrel. Practice squeezing off shots or even simply holding position without making the quarter fall off.

When I did training, one circuit we had to run was a sprint with gear, get into position prone, spotter would lay a quarter on the barrel and you had to squeeze off so many clicks without dropping the quarter. Thats a click, cycle the bolt, click, cycle, click. If you dropped it, you had to run back and try again.

14. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

So you run with your gear, then you had to dry fire, and work the bolt, with a quarter on the barrel. That is incrediable. I would like to see this in real life. ;)

15. SNDP

SNDP New Member

Just have to have to make sure that thing is pocketed tight, firm grip on the stock, and slowly move it

16. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

:bowdown: This man knows of which he speaks.

"Ola, my card is verde! Wipe its nose and put it on my plate! Brigad!"