Tips for staying in shape while on crutches?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Jazz, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

Partially torn pattellar tendon in my left knee is leaving me a bit useless and it's been a week now with no real physical activity and I'm feeling a bit bleh :hs:

Most cardio equipment involves having use of your knee so that's kinda out of the question and as for weight training I can't really carry any dumbells to a bench or load plates onto a bar. I guess I'll change over to machine work.

Any ideas on some sort of cardio type exercises that can be done?

With the current healing rate I should be able to put enough weight on it to go into the pool soon, so maybe that'll be good.

The crutches seem like a good workout for the shoulders though :dunno:

I guess really watching the diet is gonna be important while I'm inactive :hsd:

2. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

I'm kind of a veteran at this, unfortunately. My best suggestion is to do what I did - get crazy on those bitches. Balancing, dips, whatever. Always pick yourself UP off the crutch when you move, don't just let it just dig in your arm pit. If you use them right, you should be getting some workout anyhow. Pick a destination less than a half mile away and crutch over there. Crutch up hill.

At the end of the day, you just have to get creative.

3. ralyks

ralyks New Member

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

pushups (bad foot/leg perched on back of the good one), pullups, crunches, dips, etc. Or get a basketball and just toss it up into the air and catch it for a while, etc.

Deep breathing would be good too I bet.

edit: you have a gym membership.... there's plenty of shit you can figure out to do.

5. evolude

evolude OT Supporter

was on crutches for months after jan 31st... i tried to carry my weight on the tris rather than locking the elbows... arms actually grew during that time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.