A&P Tips for Shooting in Snow? v.winter storm coming

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Wobistdu, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

Tomorrow the NE is supposed to get like a foot of snow. I'd like to try and snap some pics outside. Any tips?

I have to reread my one book that discusses snow and reflectivity. I remember it saying the camera will try and meter the snow wrong and it will look grayish, but I can't remember.

Any other tips?

2. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

dont blow out the snow, and dont make the snow gray. Make sure to bring hand warmers for your batteries. you want them in the same general bag but not sitting next to the batteries.

Remember Snow is white and will act as a huge reflector, so when adjusting exposure, be sure your subject is not overexposed.

3. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

You can try metering an 18% gray card...

4. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

:wtc: dont have one. isn't there a trick to meter your hand or something?

5. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

The meter will try and render the snow grey, underexposing, don't let it. +EC and watch your histogram.

6. ///Mik3

///Mik3 New Member

as everyone has said, make sure to adjust your exposure to compensate for shots that are mostly white from snow.

Secondly, watch your white balance. Snow has a tenedency to throw off AWB and everything ends up blue.

Keep your batteries warm.

Keep the camera dry, especially keep snow off the lens. If snow gets on the lens, wait till it melts to wipe it off to prevent scratching the glass.

Try not to go straight from a warm room/house and right out in to freezing cold temps outside or vise versa. This can create condensation issues. Try to acclimate the equipment by having it sit in your camera bag for a while before pulling it out.

that's all i can think of at the momment. Oh, and have fun of course :)

7. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

thanks for all the info guys. very helpful :bowdown:

do i have to keep the battery warm that is in the camera? i doubt i'll bring a 2nd battery. the d90 can do like 500-600 shots on 1 battery. me freezing my ass off won't last for that anyway

8. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

It's $2 at a camera store.

9. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

oh? then price isn't the problem. i just wont be able to get to a store to get it before the blizzard.

10. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

bring more. the cold will drain ur battery life substantially.

11. Keegan

Keegan New Member

Landing at Reagan late Sunday afternoon. Wish I was flying in sooner so I could enjoy the snow :big grin: Keeping my fingers crossed for a white Christmas and that we get even more so in MoCo

12. Keegan

Keegan New Member

Oh. And a tip, look for some abstract stuff to shoot, but if you make it across the river, there'll be a lot of fun with the snow and monuments. Kind of hard to get shots like that most of the time, so I'd make it a priority if you're down.

13. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

awesome advice guys. i will try to remember all of it. i would like to get shots of the DC monuments and show them in a way few people ever see. i'd love to get a shot of the vietnam wall with snow laying against it

i only have a rodenstock UV filter and a 0.9 ND filter. would either of these help in the snow? i guess a polarizer would be the best but i don't have one

14. Section8

Section8 .

Thinking of doing a photowalk in downtown fredericksburg tomorrow, should be interesting if we really get all this snow. I used a .9 ND a lot when i was in Montana, helped with the snow, could open up a bit for shallow DOF if you wanted. Polarizer will help if we get any blue skies maybe :dunno:

15. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

yeah weather.com is predicting the end of civilization as we know it

16. iRate

iRate New Member

Foot of snow is nothing :)

17. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

get the awaking giant or whatever it's called. maybe the einstein statue too. korean war memorial.

also, don't slip on the marble, some guys are lazy with salting around DC.

also, maybe go to arlington. :hs:

18. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

On winter icicle viewing hikes in some caves near my area I keep my battery in my t-shirt pocket. Then I usually have a hooded coat and then a full body suit over that. I put the battery in the camera only when needed.

Its usually -5 deg out when I go on that hike. A buddy didn't do it and his battery lasted 5-10 minutes once we got down to the cave area to start shooting.

19. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

well it looks like i might be banned since every OTer that starts an argument with me in the main takes shit personally and cries for a ban when i piss them off.

so i'll post pics if i get out when i get back

20. MawcDrums

MawcDrums Active Member

:ugh: OT has turned into a bunch of vaginas

21. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

:werd:

you should see how bad WMD got. all they ever say is how much they hate me and why don't you leave. i leave and they make threads in there calling me out :rofl:

the mod over there shut them up real quick though.

22. MawcDrums

MawcDrums Active Member

:werd: I read the front desk page.. it's like what the fuck you vaginas, put him on your ignore list if he twists your knickers so much

23. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

yeah i suggested that. they are too good for that :rolleyes:

24. Section8

Section8 .

we have a foot and it's still coming down. Not sure i'm gonna do that photowalk this afternoon.

25. fallenauthority

fallenauthority OT Supporter

Yea we have a foot here already and the heavy snow is supposed to hit later today.