MIL Tips for passing SFAS

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Biomechanoid, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

Having just passed SFAS I had to learn some lessons about it the hard way, and thought I'd share my knowledge with future candidates

1) Don't quit. there's about a 60% pass rate for people who are still standing there on the final day. No matter how bad "the suck" gets, push on through it.

2) Pack the packing list and the following as well should be required:

Socks x 30 (you'll be going through 3-4 a day on land-nav and 2-3 a day on teamweek)
    headlamp
    Shirt x 12
    ACU x 6 (Save one just for log/rifle PT day, and one for when you go before the board at the end)
    Moleskin x a lot
    foot powder
    Vaseline
    nuskin
    neosporin
    bandaids
    medical tape
    bandages
    boot inserts
    "saw tooth" boot tread pattern (lots of very fine sand going uphill on the rucks)
    100mph tape
    550 chord (at least 100 ft)
    bungie cord (6 sections are usually enough to set up a quick hooch in the rain)
    map case (clear on both sides)
    2 quart canteen drinking tubes x2 (best way to suck 8lbs off your rucksack while you're marching)

3) The rucksack packing list, while stipulating a minimum of 45lbs, weighs in at around 72lbs dry. That being said. there will not be a shakedown unless your rucksack is below weight and/or is significantly smaller in size than everyone else's (i.e. 45lbs of rocks). I highly reccomend ditching the sneakers and substituting in more socks and a towel or 2 instead. You will need the bulky size of your rucksack for team week to balance various apparatus and sandbags on your back.

4) Take care of your feet. Everyone will get blisters at some point during SFAS. if you get them towards the end of team-week it won't be as big a deal compared to getting them at the beginning of land-nav. I recommend getting fixing your feet as you will put between 150-200 miles on your feet with a 80lb rucksack on your back.

5)Remember that individual events are for you to shine, and team events are for your team to shine. trying to be the "Hero" in a team seems to have a bad impact during team week, just as helping out a buddy during an individual event is a negative assessment.

6) Don't quit and do your best.

7) Start excessively hydrating 72 hours before attending SFAS. you will sweat out more water than your body can physically recover during this period of time, and the Oral Rehydration Salt packets they give you only work so well.

8) If you don't know what's going on, your hooch leader doesn't know what's going on, and your Senior NCO doesn't know what's going on, ask an 18x, they usually have the entire schedule of events for selection intell'd out beforehand, and will usually have the best solution to confidence course obstacles and building apparatus memorized ahead of time.

9) Don't quit

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

out fucking standing! :bigthumb:

copy/paste into an email to one of my soldiers. He's planning on doing this after our current deployment. Thanks a lot Bio!

3. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

Most of the information here seems good. The amount of socks and sock changes seems a little excessive. If you your feet are in the right condition and tough before you show up you'll have less to worry about.

4. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

one of the big reasons for that many socks is that you will walk through shin high water on nearly every road march, and if you take the time to change your socks (and boots if the PL/APL allows for it) afterwards you'll help save your feet during the other 7-10 miles left on the march.

This goes double for land-nav when crossing draws that can be chest high with water. I brought 14 pairs of socks, and was running low on day 8 because of how often my feet were wet. You'll find that most of the senior NCOs and officers who did their research bring about 30 socks to SFAS.

5. Blackfox

Blackfox Active Member

Looks good except the excessive hydration part. I wouldn't do that. When you over hydrate you get rid of alot of your bodies nutrients and with the lack of food that is a bad situation. Hydrate, yes, but not excessive.

6. THE mister juice

THE mister juice jfk→sea

7. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

what seems to get alot of those 40% that make it through but dont get selected?

8. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

can u explain what SFAS is for the zoomies??

9. Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid New Member

Peer evals.

Seems that a lot of people who do well physically tried playing the "grey man" and when it came time for peer evals they were usually rated low and got pink slips (bad evaluations).

10. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Not trying to sound like an ass here, but you do know that gtcrispy has already been there done that, don't you?

11. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

haha thanks. established contact with him after he posted that.

12. ZaC851

ZaC851 New Member

Do all the SF guys do that robin sage event towards the end at fort bragg? I got to take part in that for the 2 weeks. Was 1 of only 6 marines that got to go out there from camp lejeune. Very cool knowledgeable guys :bigthumb: