tips for long distance runners/walking?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by noogles, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noogles

noogles OT Supporter

a couple of my soccer team mates are gonna be doing a cross country hike for charity next month. it'll be over 60 miles and will be done in 2 days. it's more like a cross country walkathon kinda thing and they were wondering how to prepare for this nutrition and supplement wise. glusamine and ginko have been brought up in discussions. what's F&N's take on this?

2. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Glucosamine and ginko ? The best supplement you could get while doing this is "food". I know, it's expensive but hey, it works. Dried fruit could be nice.

3. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

where is it going to be... i.e. what kind of terrain and elevation?

food is the most important part for that trip - its only two days, so supplementation isnt really a big issue. Just eat clean. Make sure your boots are broken in - blisters on the first day are terrible

use your head when you pack food... lots of carbs, tuna, and lots and lots of water - bring powdered gatorade mix. we did a 30 mile mountain hike in Maine over three days and I was easily going through 3 quarts of water a day and I wish I had more. Your packs are going to heavy - keep that in mind.

4. noogles

noogles OT Supporter

it's mainly gonna be along a coastal highway so it's mostly flat and not that much elevated. water and gatorade are gonna be provided every few kilometers but i've reminded them to bring a few bottles extra each. guess i'll tell them to skip the supplements. thanks btw.

5. ChicaBella

ChicaBella Guest

You might want to try some of that GU energy gel. They come in little packets that are easy to carry. I just started endurance sports and these come highly recommended for running and biking.

Congrats on taking this endeavor up on behalf of charity!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.