tips for how the bloody hell to label my dynamically generated graphs pls

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by piratepenguin, Dec 16, 2007.

1. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Hello folks, long time no see.

http://piratepenguin.is-a-geek.com:82/~declan/algebra/testing.xhtml
    ^ View in an SVG-enabled browser. There are a few fucked up things about that document, but my work is incomplete since I'm stumped as to in what way I should label and mark units on the axes. I've implemented different methods to do this about 2 or 3 times, and none have impressed me over a wide enough scope of zoom levels.

I am only dealing with the positive X axis until I get this right 100%. I want to be able to deal with users viewing 5, 10, 100, 1000, and then 1 and under units there, and at intervals there needs to be marks - some labeled with a figure for the X value, elegantly, and that's the difficult part. Zoom in one in the testing.xhtml setup for the first issue with my current once-looking-promising implementation.

Given is the length of one X unit (could be 1px, could be 50px, hopefully could be 5000px), what would YOU do with that unit.

I'm hoping somebody has done something a lot like this before, and could give me some tips.

2. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Here is my current implementation which I have fixed up:

There is major markers, and minor markers (which are not labeled). minDistanceBetweenMajorMarkers is set to a fraction (one twelfth) of the viewable graphing space width. That's ok. unitsPerMajorMarker is set to minDistanceBetweenMajorMarkers / xUnitLength, rounded up.

That's the major markers done, now the minor's is done in a similar way, with minimumDistance set to 4 pixels now. Then in a loop the markers are drawn.

It works fine enough (subtract the JS rounding errors experienced in the odd case), but when I said elegant, I don't think people would appreciate labeled intervals of 7 as much as 8 or 10.

I think I should exclude odd numbers for major counting, but 3 can be good. Baaah.

If nobody has any tips, so be it. What I have is workable enough for a long time.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Just a thought... don't. http://code.google.com/p/flot/

I've spent so much time doing custom charts and I'm just moving to this instead.

Sorry, I'll re-read your post when I'm more sober/rested/smart.

4. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Holy FUCK those are some beautiful graphs!

But what I need more than anything is Cartesian graphs (that will accept equations of lines, parabolas, that sortof high-school stuff, and be able to find derivatives of them etc). I'm gonna mail that list, might be able to start working on that. Learning jQuery is a good idea too.

I hope this works out. I never used canvas before, I guess that's a better idea too since it should turn out much faster than SVG - but I don't know.

5. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

cheers face (funny, this dude in school used to call me faceman for some reason I couldn't understand... wait why did he call me faceman?!)

well, I don't think any code will be useful. I took a timeout, when I get to taking the computer outof my living room and up to my desk, I think I'll just trudge onwards with what I'm doing regardless of this imperfection, but I like using the web on a 40" screen from 1.5 meters away.