tips for a 16 y/o

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by adelacruz, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

hey guys whats up im 16, ive read the dieting sticky thats on here and now i have a couple of questions,

1. How do you count the protein and carbs and calories and fat in all the foods you eat during the day? what if you eat something taht doesnt come in a box?

2. I weigh about 210 and im 5'11" im still growing soome but i wanna cut down on my stomach, chest area and love handles, also on my thighs, and then i want to tone them is this a good idea? Or should i just start lifting now, ive heard that if i start lifting now my stomach will stay big.

3. Yesterday I got a free 10 day pass to 24 hour fitness sport, and im going today, I cant afford the personal trainers so any tips on how i should start off and then when i do want to add muscle how would i go about it? Like what excersises?

2. ralyks

ralyks New Member

www.fitday.com

Just start lifting.

3. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

start lifting now

signup at www.fitday.com , this site tracks the amount of calories you consume, or the amount of energy you consume. To lose weight of those areas you mentioned you msut consume less than you currently use to live.

Eat around 2350 cals to start off with, weight yourself and adjust calories up or down depending on changes.

i recommend you start off with learning all the movements.

google
    bench press
    dead lift
    squat
    good morning
    dumbell row
    tricep extension
    shoulder press

4. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

Nice to see you're starting early; I wish someone had turned me on to this stuff when i was 16. At your age, dont worry too much about counting calories, protein, carbs, etc. Just eat clean (ie avoid greasy stuff, dont eat fast food, avoid high sodium foods, eat lean meats, etc), and make sure you get enough protein every day (at least 1g/lb bodyweight, so for you around 200g protein a day). Look up nutrition facts on google for stuff that doesnt come out of a box. Pop a multivitamin every day as well.

I would start lifting now to develop a strong core. Don't worry about cutting diets, etc. at the moment. Concentrate on legs, upper/lower back, lats, abs, obliques and chest. Here are some reference websites:

http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm

You can look through the archives and training logs to see what routines other people are doing, and put one together for yourself.

5. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

I ws thinking about recommending exrx, but some of his lifts are dubious

6. CrackityJones

CrackityJones OT Supporter

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2005
  7. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

also im a carb addict so i was wondering how many carbs i should be taking in daily, with protein i was told 1-1.5 so im trying to take in 300g and fat 600 calories a day calories 2350-2400 and all im missing is carbs.

Average Caloriessourcegramscals%totalTotal: 381 Fat:20 176 47% Sat:8 70 19% Poly:3 27 7% Mono:7 67 18%Carbs:30 114 31% Fiber:1 0 0%Protein:21 82 22%Alcohol:0 0 0%

Thats on breakfast alone today

8. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

seems pretty normal. i'm on a reduced carb diet right now and usually have 20ish g of carbs for breakfast

9. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

Can anyone post a basic workout for me to follow today? its my first time ever going to the gym, and i tried checking out the logs but they dont really help me because i dont know whos at what level and everything.

10. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

elaborate?

11. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

I found a source that said i should do at least 1 excersise in each muscle group so i have a few though i dont know reps for each here they are.

Chest- Benchpress

Back- Cable one arm row

Shoulders- Dumbbell arnold press

Biceps- Barbell Curl

Triceps- Close grip bench press

Quadriceps- Squat

Hamstrings- Lying Leg Curl

Abs- Seated Crunch

Obliques- dumbell side bend.

Reps are 1-2 sets of 12-16 but i dont know how much weight to use.

12. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

typically people pick 1 or 2 muscle groups and concentrate on those every day. for example, here is what I try to stick to. People are probably going to say "wtf, no squats, deadlifts, or legs" but my legs are already disproportionately large as compared to my upper body.

https://webspace.utexas.edu/arifn/Workout%20Schedule.pdf

edit - btw, if you are trying to put on muscle mass, the best way to do it is with 3 or 4 sets of 4 to 8 reps each, using enough weight so that a 9th rep would be extremely difficult if not impossible

13. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

how much weight did you start out with? Im gonna use this same workout , or should i just see myself?

thanks

14. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

just start with something, and you'll get the hang of it. if you're doing chest stuff for the first time, i recommend someone spotting you so you dont hurt yourself. i hate doing chest without a spot.

depending on what your goals and the development of your legs, you may want to modify the schedule. I always add new stuff that I learn into the routine and take stuff that wasnt as effective for me out. If i've fucked up something one week, I may move stuff around to give things time to heal. After you start working out for a while and get the hang of things, you'll modify it yourself to do things that work best for you.

15. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

problem is i dont knwo anyone at the gym and i cant afford a personal trainer but thtanks, youve helped alot, ill prbably go to the gym at about 4

16. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

just ask someone in there to spot you real quick, and if they are nice they'll even help you get proper form and stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.