TAT Tipping on large projects.

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by meshuggahn, Apr 11, 2008.

1. meshuggahn

meshuggahn New Member

So over the last 4 sessions on my back they have all been 6hrs and 900. I tipped 200 on all of them because I really like my artist and feel that he is working quickly and doing a badass job.

After the last one he said "You don't have to do that everytime man". So I was curious, what then would be appropriate? Is skipping a tip so often on a project like this ok? or just lessen it? or bring something else instead (heard food/baking is good, but im single and cant cook)

Thoughts?

2. hoppy1028

hoppy1028 New Member

i tip 20 per 100 but im sure you can bring anything, or just do 100, up to you really do what makes you feel comfortable

3. Bill The Butcher

Bill The Butcher Active Member

I would probably give $100 each time then for the last tip give 3 to 4x that

4. hoss4131

hoss4131 New Member

i always try to tip my piercer when i see him... often times he wont let me though :(

but i do drive nearly two hours to see him, and he is the only person that comes near me with needles or tapers, and he knows this.

5. Memor

Memor Active Member

i tipped 20% on a super high hourly rate for mine...in retrospect i shoulda brought in some of the dude's favorite alcohol, or some skate videos, or food instead of cash a couple of those times. But the way I saw it was like, on a big piece like yours or mine, that tip is a huge help to the artist. I dunno.

6. owenstar

owenstar New Member

Tipping good has made my hourly cost go down...

Tipping on big work is tricky...dropping 900 a session is a good amount of cash...I think 100 is a decent tip....Most artists I have dealt with are happy to even get tips....Like some have said artists start refusing high dollar tips, as you become more a friend when getting a big piece and big tips make people feel uncomfortable, as they already know how much you appreciate their talents..

7. pimpofthenation

pimpofthenation OT Supporter

My artist originally quoted me $500 for my arm piece which I thought was a little low, but still within what I expected. It turned out to be a lot more work than either of us knew. After the first 6 hour session, we were only about 60% done. At that point, I had already given him $500 and only had $50 on me, so I gave him that. The next session was 4 hours and got us to the 90% point. He was not going to charge me at all, because "I quoted your $500"... but I didn't think that was fair and he was doing great work. So I paid him another $250 for that. The final work on it will probably only be an hour or two, and I plan on paying him another $250-$350...

8. nedwinkler

nedwinkler Everybody wang chung tonight!!!

When I got mine it was 150 for about an hour of work and I gave him an extra 30. I dont really know much about this stuff but if i was in your shoes I would give a big tip just because the work he is doing is awesome and its there for life.

9. meshuggahn

meshuggahn New Member

Thanks for the input. I definitely dont mind giving the big tips for what he is doing. It just seemed like he knew that by lessening that extra cost we could get more done. I think he is just as excited to see this all done as I am.