tip: GHR for those without a bench

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Leo95SE, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

If youre of the many dont have access to a GHR bench, i got this awesome excercise that you prolly already know about.

best method is with a swiss ball, preferably the larger green ones. you can also use the side of your bed if its low enough to extend properly, or bench, couch, etc.

lay on your back, with heels resting on the top of the ball. arms either up in the air or resting on your sides. i prefer up in the air, you wont use them to help this way.

now, pull, or, roll the ball toward your butt with your feet, while popping up in the air like your humping it. the ball will roll onto your entire foot, and should stop when it hits your body. thats how you judge proper depth. feet will be on the top of the ball as soon as it hits your body.
    tre key is in the pop as you extend up. while you do this, tighten your butt muscles, arch your lower back, and flex your hams. you should feel it in all these areas.
    since there isnt much resistance involved, the trick is the speed and the flexing of the muscles. it definately works! consider it the dynamic GHR. hehe.

give it a shot!

2. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

that's not GHR worthy.

i do them on an inclined situp bench with my feet locked under the foot pad.

3. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

i remember back in the day people saying that it didn't really replicate GHRs. but I agree that it's a killer exercise.

4. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

it doesnt, thas why i said a good dynamic ghr. but then again, if you dont have access to a bench, it does its job.

5. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

i saw some girl doing those the other day

6. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

2. Reverse Hypers — Here's another one of those things that bothers me. The reverse hyper is a trademarked name, so there's only one way to do them and it's on a reverse hyper machine. Anything else is not a reverse hyper!

This machine is also very good for the development of the hamstrings, glutes, and lower back. There are many ways to perform the reverse hyper but these three are the best I've found:
    • Three to four heavy sets for 6 to 10 reps — This is a looser style then many are used to. After you get on the machine you'll use a couple of reps to get the weight moving (these don't count for the total). When you get a full range of motion, you'll try to catch the weight at the bottom of the motion where the axis of the plates begins to cross the front legs of the machine (closest to your head). This way you reverse the weight before it reverses you. This style seems to hit the hamstrings and glutes very hard.
    • Strict sets for 3 to 4 sets of 15 reps — To do the strict reverse hyper, set yourself on the bench so your hips are 3 to 4 inches off the back of the machine, then arch your back as hard as you can while keeping your chest off the machine. This will put your body in a diagonal position.
    To perform the motion, you'll begin with the axis of the plates even with the back legs on the machine (closest to your hips). From the start position, focus on arching the weight up with the lower back. You'll only be able to get the weight so high. When you get to the top, try and hold the position for a one count. This will be impossible to do but try your hardest. The tempo of this movement is twice as slow as the first style of hyper. You'll feel this style more in the lower back than anywhere else.
    • Timed Reverse Hypers — This is a classic Louie Simmons movement. Use much less weight than you would with the other two styles. Either style of the reverse hyper can be used for this. Pick a designated time (usually 3 to 5 minutes) and continue with the set nonstop for as long as you can or until you hit your time deadline.
    3. Pull Through — The pull through is a special exercise designed to train the muscles of the lower back, hamstrings, and glutes. Begin by facing away from a low pulley cable with a single "D" handle. Next, bend over and grab the handle between your legs while facing away from the machine. Then pull the handle through your legs until your body is in an upright position. This movement is best trained with 4 to 6 sets of 10 to 15 reps.

4. Dimel Deadlift — The Dimel deadlift is the one movement we get the most questions about. To perform it, stand in front of the barbell with around 30 to 40 percent of your max deadlift weight. Pull the bar to the top position. This is the starting position of the exercise.
    From here you want to arch your back as hard as you can and push your hips back until you feel a extreme stretch in your hamstring and glutes. For the first few reps you'll lower the bar with a controlled tempo to just below knee level then rebound back up. Once you get the bar path figured out you'll then begin to lower very fast and rebound out of the bottom in a ballistic fashion. This is a high speed, high rep exercise that's best trained with 2 to 3 sets of 20 reps.
    5. Close Stance, Stiff Leg, No Touch Deadlifts Off Box — This is another great movement for the lower back, glutes, and hamstrings. Stand on a four inch box and pull deadlifts. The key here is you'll not touch the floor until the set is finished. The bar will stop short of the floor by a few inches before you complete the next rep. I've seen this trained two ways. First, for a couple of heavy sets of 3 to 5 reps; second, for a few sets of 15 to 20 reps.
    6. Sled Dragging — Sled dragging is a very underrated hamstring movement. There are a few ways to really hit your hamstring with the sled. The most popular is forward walking where you make sure to really kick the front leg out.

The second method is to grab the sled handle or strap behind your knees with a close stance. While in the bent over position, keep your hands behind your knees while walking forward. You'll only be able to take small steps but after a few steps you'll know right away what you're training.

There are two very good ways to drag the sled for hamstrings. First is with very heavy weight for 15 to 20 steps per set. The second is with lighter weight for 70 to 100 steps per set.
    7. Inverse Leg Curls — This movement is performed on a glute ham bench or a standard hyper extension or back raise bench. To perform it, set your body on the bench as you would a back raise. You'll be in a facedown, rounded over position with your heels and toes off of the toe plate. The only thing holding you should be your heals against the pad. If you're using a GHR bench you'll want to set the toe plate forward so your knees are just off the pad.
    To begin, arch your lower back as hard as you can and force your heals into the pad. Pull yourself into the horizontal position and then try to leg curl your way up another three to four inches. If done correctly, you'll only be able to pull yourself up a few inches. When you hit your highest spot, you'll hold statically for a three count then lower. This is best trained for 4 to 6 sets to failure.

stolen from dave tate's 8 keys to strength. dont do any pussy ball shit.

7. Phineas Q Stork

yeah, because most people have reverse hypers and sleds

8. Devil

Devil I have become my terror. OT Supporter

oh snap

9. Phineas Q Stork

and dats real son

10. Devil

im going to begin cutting next week. 220 crew in 3.5 months holler

edit: this time i might even stick to it

11. Phineas Q Stork

I weigh myself tomorrow morning :( First time I've actually stuck w/ cutting for more than 3 days

12. Devil

food looks even more appetizing when you're cutting :wtc:

13. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

AGAIN, most people dont have access to a GHR bench.
    I'm fortunate to, and still feel a good workout can be had by using the ball, or off the side of my bed.
    If im travelling I wont be bringing a GHR bench with me either. Most hotel rooms have beds though.

I also dont have a patented reverse hyper bench. i do pullthrough, and suffer the consequences of knowing ill never have that superior PC.

14. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

sled's can be constructed easily from homemade materials... :ugh: if you dont know how, go look it up. there are other things to target the hamstrings in that section of the article. no not everyone has access to a reverse hyper, but you said "what can you do if you dont have a GHR? go find a swiss ball!" i gave you a list of real exercises to replace it.

i didn't know we were talking about you being on vacation and wanting to get a hotel room workout. which comprises what .5% of the year for the average person? i assumed we were actualy talking about training. my bad.

15. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

GHR works my hams completely different from pullthroughs or sldl. none of these movements require to you really 'flex' the ham.
    swiss ball was the only other movement i found that contracted them somewhat closely.

and no, with work and a life, im out of my house more than 0.5%.

16. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

not what i said. but whatever.

fine, go work on your swiss ball. i'll keep doing my shit. you keep doing yours.

17. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

thanks for fucking up a thread that could have proved useful to someone.

anyone else, like people with weak backs, those without access to a gh bench, or those that work out at home, or women who are looking to do more with their swiss balls or so, hope this helps.

18. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

lol, i havn't fucked up anything. i added to your thread your valid viable alternatives to the GHR. i didn't know your prospective audience was women on swiss balls and people in their hotel rooms.

edit : i'm sorry

19. Leo95SE

Leo95SE The OMINOUS one

20. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.