SRS Tip for those quitting via The Patch method

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Diesel Fumes, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

Id like to share the method I used.

As you may know, there are 3 steps. Step 1, 2 and 3. Start with step 2 if you smoke 10 or less smokes a day. I started with step 1 because I sometimes smoked 12 -15 smokes a day.

Anyways, what I did was stay on step 1 for two weeks. After that, I went to step 2. I did this for 2 weeks. Then I started to buy step 1 again, but this time I cut them in half.

Step 1 has 21g per 24hours
    Step 2 has 14g per 24 hours
    Step 3 has 7g per 24 hours

So I had two weeks of 21g per day.
    Then I had 2 weeks of 14g per day.
    Then I had 2 weeks of 10.5g per day. (note: this cost the same as 1 week of 21g per day).

The patches all cost the same when I bought them anyways. each step had 7 per box and they were all 22.99 or something like that.

I think you can guess what is coming next:

Then I did 2 weeks of 7g per day, but I did this by cutting Step 1 patches in 3 equal pieces. So basically 3 weeks for the price of 1.

I just kept doign 2 week cycles and I cut patches into pieces to save money.

Basically my tip is to save money by not buying step 3 patches at all. Buy step 2 patches only for 2 weeks, but you can easily get by using step 1 patches for the rest of the time. This way you will not feel so bad about spending more for the brand name patches (which are better BTW)

Also, it helps to put a piece of duct tape over the patch on your skin. Holds it in place and prevents it from falling off if you move your skin in the wrong way or something.

Yea, im a cheap ass, but saving money was the main reason I quit smoking. Not for health reasons.

2. Toxica

Toxica New Member

That sounds pretty clever. It really worked? How long has it been since you quit?

My mom needs to quit smoking for health reasons. I think I might buy the patches for her and use your method. :p

3. bovine

bovine New Member

I quit via patches 5 years ago this December 4th. I think I was on them for 6 weeks if I remember.

They do help a lot by keeping the nicotine in your system while you try to find something to fill the void that quitting creates. I started running and biking and am sure I would have started smoking again if I hadn't found another way of thinking of myself other than "being a smoker."