Tinted my own tail lights

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Cicada, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Cicada

Cicada Guest

:hsugh:

this was my first attempt at doing this, so i was expecting a catastrophic failure, but I'm pleasantly surprised at how well they came out, and my patience to do it right.
    To tint it, since i couldnt find VHT's nightshades locally, i used some window tint paint from my local hobby shop, that is also specially made for plastics [specifically, lexan, but it's okay] I then hit it with tons of coats of dupli-color clear top coat.
    here are a couple pics: after clear coat, i wetsanded it really well to get rid of any orangepeel, first iwth 1000 grit, then again with 1500 grit. I tehn used some rubbing compound to even it out, then some polish. finally, i used some meguiar's PlastX plastic compound.polish to get that final mirror finish. The coat hasnt cured yet, so i havent waxed it.
    i still have to go over it a few more times with the plastX to get more shine, as there are still some very fine scratches form teh polish and compound. To speed it up, i have mothers' polish ball for my drill. works wonders. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

couple more pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and no flash:
    [​IMG]

when i put 'em on later today, i'll get some pics of how much they cut down the brake lights -- i tested them earlier and the brakes are still very bright.

2. Cicada

Cicada Guest

here's a shot from jsut now at hte gas station, car off. ill post the other ones i have in a moment.
    [​IMG]

at night and in the shade they look completely black...
    good thing is that it didnt have any adverse affect on the light output [at night anyway...during the day they seem a tad bit dimmer]

[​IMG]

day, rear fog/"brake check" lights and brake lights on:
    [​IMG]

3. MP525i

MP525i New Member

lights look real good man. good work.

turbo badge... :ugh:

4. XPX

XPX New Member

the Porsche badge looks out of place, other than that you got a nice Volvo :cool:

5. spanker

spanker New Member

Dumbest thing people do

The lights are on your car so people can see you

You are now in violations with state and local laws

If you get rear ended they can suit you for that

Good luck with that

Don't forget to darken up your headlamps

Fuck stupidity should be painfull

6. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

Fixed.

Welcome to the world of ricing out your car. You are now right up there with all the 16yr VW idiots that spray paint their tail lights b/c they're too cheap to buy real aftermarket ones.

7. XPX

XPX New Member

:bowrofl: haha I love the way it looks but I have to agree on this

8. Chris87

Chris87 flatoutperformance.com

HAHAHA. What did he do?

9. dew

dew Banned

damn it looks nice

10. diaper eater

diaper eater OT Supporter

though it does hinder brake light brightness, how many of you see running lights and slam on the brakes.

most people react to the appearance of light put out when you hit the brakes or of light increased when the running lights are on too, not the light itself. that and the center brake light are what get me to react and slow down. as long as the brake lights are brighter than the running lights then there really isnt a very legitimate problem with this.

i can see the concern, but in reality the actual problem with this is miniscule.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

What are you talking about? Did you look at the nighttime pic? Those were his running lights in that picture. His brake lights are going to be even brighter.

The tint looks good on the black car; it tones down the red so it matches the dark paint better. During the day, it won't matter if the tails aren't bright bright red, because only an idiot wouldn't know which end of the car is facing towards him.