Timing of Ram important for OCing processor?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Soren, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

I can get 4gb of 5-5-5-18 OCZ gold ram for $55 and 4gb of 5-4-4-15 OCZ platinum ram for $65.

If I plan to OC my E7200 processor, which one should I be getting? I'll be using stock cooling for the processor, most likely.

Only reason I ask is because I'm on a budget so I don't want to waste money needlessly.

2. Vysion

Vysion New Member

Yes and no. You can overclock your processor without overclocking your RAM. But a lot of enthusiasts overclock their RAM along with their processors because it is all related. When you overclock your RAM you sometimes have to relax the RAM timings in able to get a stable overclock on your RAM.

3. Vysion

Vysion New Member

I personally would spend the extra $10 to get the platinum RAM with the tighter timings. You can always relax the timings back if needed when you're trying to overclock your system.

4. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

So I want *higher* timings for OCing? Then what exactly do the lower timings achieve?

The problem is I don't even know what 5-4-4-15 means in relation to 5-5-5-18 so I can't understand what the benefit of the better timings are.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Faster RAM timings means the RAM can prepare itself to read and write data faster, which obviously is important if you want to make the computer run faster than it's "supposed to".

6. Vysion

Vysion New Member

No. You want lower timings for faster RAM performance. BUT, when you start overclocking your system it can cause instability in your RAM when it reaches higher frequencies. One way to stabalize the RAM then is to raise the timings to higher values. It is a game of give and take... either a slower frequency with tighter timings, or a faster frequency with higher timings.

Look up RAM timings on wikipedia, that will give you an indepth explanation as what all the numbers mean.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Ram timings are like golf -- lower is better. They're really just measurements of time.

RAM with better timings will respond to data requests faster even if you don't overclock your machine, but more importantly, when you do overclock your machine, the RAM will be more likely to be able to keep up without getting unstable and spitting out garbage instead of data.