Timing effect on workout

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by turbo35, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbo35

turbo35 haters gonna hate

Got a couple questions that you gym types might have a basic answer for.

I know that by slowing down exercises, your recruit slow-twitch muscle fibers as well as fast twitch, and more thorougly exercise muscle groups. Obviously timing has some effect... even within sets, you see people doing 5/5 cadence, pausing 1 sec in the middle vs not stopping, etc. Between sets, we see the same thing. Leave maybe 3 minutes between each set to allow max testosterone generation, etc.

What about if I'm doing 4 sets... should I do all 4 in a row, or can I do 2, exercise some other muscle group, and come back and do 2 more sets? What's the difference in effect?

2. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

The muscle has more time to rest so you'll be able to lift more but I guess you'll recruit less muscle fibers. I don't know why you'd do it this way though.
    You could alternate the exercises though (even without supersetting and by letting like 1-2 min of rest between each exercise).

3. turbo35

Well, I know it's "easier" after a small break... but does that mean it's not as effective? I like warming up a little with maybe a half weight slow set, then do the heaviest I can x 8-12, then back off a bit and do another 8-10, etc for 4-5 sets total (inc warmup set)

If I give it some rest, I don't have to drop too much weight off in subsequent sets... if I do one after another I have to drop a bit more. I guess the question is a little rest and a little more weight, or just work straight thru and lift all it can (causing it to "grow back stronger" or whatnot) :dunno:

4. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

just lift...

5. turbo35

you forgot eat more :fawk:

6. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

You get to lift more because you got to rest. Your body has muscle fibers which are activated by motor units. It uses as few motor units as it can to lift the weight. After a couple of sets, the fibers are fatigued and the body will have to recruit other motor units (and new muscle fibers) which will lead to a greater amount of your muscle being used. If you rest longer, those fibers had time to rest and the body won't necessarily have to recruit those other muscle fibers.

You should think about having LESS rest, not more. The density of the work that you're doing is weight lifted*time used to lift it. So you can progress by either keeping the same weight but used shorter rest or moving up the weight and keeping the same rest time.

Go lift now.

7. turbo35

Noes, I lifted Monday! :noes:

I'm doing twice a week, Monday and Thursday. I'll be sure from here on out to just knock out sets one after another.

Are you saying 3 minutes is too much time between sets? I based that on something I read that the body produces testosterone for up to 3 minutes after heavy exercise, so you should hang out between sets and take advantage of that production. You think less is better?

8. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

3 minutes is a lot of time... i dunno... personally, though, i think you might be worrying about things that you don't need to

9. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

you know my answer

10. turbo35

:rofl:

This isn't really a big deal... I just know it's easier to push bigger weight if I take a break, and I was wondering if there's any real difference one way or another. Sounds like I'm just working against myself by giving signifigant recovery time, so I'll give it a minute or whatever and do them consecutively.

I know, I know. Eat big, lift big, sleep tons.

11. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

good rule of thumb is to wait 'til your heart rate slows down a little bit and then get back at it... don't think yourself into the ground... for me, the gym is the only place that i don't really have to think :dunno:

12. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Well, thinking less would be better :mamoru:

Unless you're lifting heavy ass weights I don't see the point of waiting 3 min.

The present study indicated that, within typical hypertrophic strength-training protocols used in the present study, the length of the recovery times between the sets (2 vs. 5 minutes) did not have an influence on the magnitude of acute hormonal and neuromuscular responses or long-term training adaptations in muscle strength and mass in previously strength-trained men.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/e...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.