GUN Times up? Obama to Seek New Assault Weapons Ban

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by minus, Feb 26, 2009.

1. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/story?id=6960824&page=1

:wtc:.

The Obama administration will seek to reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired in 2004 during the Bush administration, Attorney General Eric Holder said today.

"As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons," Holder told reporters.

Holder said that putting the ban back in place would not only be a positive move by the United States, it would help cut down on the flow of guns going across the border into Mexico, which is struggling with heavy violence among drug cartels along the border.

"I think that will have a positive impact in Mexico, at a minimum." Holder said at a news conference on the arrest of more than 700 people in a drug enforcement crackdown on Mexican drug cartels operating in the U.S.

Mexican government officials have complained that the availability of sophisticated guns from the United States have emboldened drug traffickers to fight over access routes into the U.S.

A State Department travel warning issued Feb. 20, 2009, reflected government concerns about the violence.

"Some recent Mexican army and police confrontations with drug cartels have resembled small-unit combat, with cartels employing automatic weapons and grenades," the warning said. "Large firefights have taken place in many towns and cities across Mexico, but most recently in northern Mexico, including Tijuana, Chihuahua City and Ciudad Juarez."

At the news conference today, Holder described his discussions with his Mexican counterpart about the recent spike in violence.

"I met yesterday with Attorney General Medina Mora of Mexico, and we discussed the unprecedented levels of violence his country is facing because of their enforcement efforts," he said.

Holder declined to offer any time frame for the reimplementation of the assault weapons ban, however.

"It's something, as I said, that the president talked about during the campaign," he said. "There are obviously a number of things that are -- that have been taking up a substantial amount of his time, and so, I'm not sure exactly what the sequencing will be."

In a brief interview with ABC News, Wayne LaPierre, president of the National Rifle Association, said, "I think there are a lot of Democrats on Capitol Hill cringing at Eric Holder's comments right now."

During his confirmation hearing, Holder told the Senate Judiciary Committee about other gun control measures the Obama administration may consider.

"I think closing the gun show loophole, the banning of cop-killer bullets and I also think that making the assault weapons ban permanent, would be something that would be permitted under Heller," Holder said, referring to the Supreme Court ruling in Washington, D.C. v. Heller, which asserted the Second Amendment as an individual's right to own a weapon.

The Assault Weapons Ban signed into law by President Clinton in 1994 banned 19 types of semi-automatic military-style guns and ammunition clips with more than 10 rounds.

"A semi-automatic is a quintessential self-defense firearm owned by American citizens in this country," LaPierre said. "I think it is clearly covered under Heller and it's clearly, I think, protected by the Constitution."

2. minus

Bohica.

3. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

4. minus

Liberal scare tactics? Or is it time to worry?

5. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

Awesome. Let's restrict the rights of American citizens over Mexican concerns about drug cartel violence??

btw... What is a "cop killer bullet"??

6. minus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Talon

The Black Talon bullet is a jacketed hollow-point bullet with perforations designed to expand sharp edges upon impact.[1] The bullet included a Lubalox (a proprietary oxide process,[2] though widely misreported to be Teflon, molybdenum disulfide, or wax) coating, giving it an unusual black appearance compared to copper-jacketed or lead bullets. The Lubalox coating was to protect the barrel rifling, and did not give the bullet armor-piercing capabilities. This coating in fact is still widely used on many of Winchester's rifle bullets today.[3] The bullet also had a unique appearance with a star shaped perforation on the black tip, giving it the nickname Starpoint.

The ammunition was targeted by those opposed to handguns,[5] and the reputation was very different in the public,[6] and eventually the Talons became to be known by the moniker "cop-killer" bullets.[7] The hype of the Black Talon ammunition was the black coating on the bullets themselves. There were false rumors that the bullets were armor piercing and could penetrate the Kevlar vests worn by police officers.[8][9] To further the controversy, some medical personnel claimed that the sharp barb like tips could potentially cause tears in the surgical gloves and hands of the medical workers, exposing them to greater risk of infection,[1] however there are no documented reports of this actually happening.[10]

7. minus

Basically the ammo was removed from production after the Long Island Railroad shootings.

8. minus

Carolyn McCarthy what a shock. I'm sorry your husband had to die and your son was injured but don't sue Ruger and Olin.

Yes this Carolyn "Shoulder thing that goes up" McCarthy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ospNRk2uM3U

Someone should educate her on clips vs magazines.

9. Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger New Member

well hmm. I guess its good that I got my lower. But now its going to be harder to build my AR if everything is sold out or can't be sold because of the ban. I'll probably have to wait until the ban gets lifted again from a different president.

10. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

if they pass this before the mid-term elections, there will be a change of power in congress. Happened in 1996, when clinton signed the last one.

If he's mentioning it this early, i'm guessing its probably next in line after all the economic stuff is sorted out. If they do pass something, hopefully it's only as restrictive as what CT already has in place.

11. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

I don't think it will pass. Average joe schmoe is freeking the fuck out about gun bans. This was not quite the case back in 94.

4 years ago even the democrats where trying to warm up to the people showing that they hunt. Republicans know that they must fight this tooth and nail, unlike last time when it was "stop teh baby killing black guns" everyone knows assult weapons bans are bullshit.

12. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

LOL LETS WORRY ABOUT MEXICO

13. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

fucking racist piece of shit

14. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I really can't believe that democrats are this stupid. The republicans really pissed a lot of people off (myself included), and got ousted from power as a result. Now, less than 2 full months into this session of congress, they are already talking about ramming an extreme liberal anti-gun policy down our throats?? One that will that will piss off nearly every law abiding gun owner (a HUGE demographic in this country) and also those who may not own guns, but are sympathetic to those of us who do having the RIGHT to do so.

I hope they enjoy their 2 years in power. The pendulum will start rapidly swinging in the other direction starting in 2010 if this shit keeps up.

I personally tend to side with the democrats on more issues than I do the republicans, but they will no longer get my vote if they want to handicap my ability to keep my family and myself safe, just because some liberal pussies are afraid of guns.

15. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

he's killing his chance at another term, yay

16. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Did Obama ever mention AWB during his campaigns? I don't remember him mentioning it at all. I just remember him blabbering about not taking away people's gun.

17. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

His web site said something to the effect that he believes "weapons designed to be used on foreign battle fields don't belong in our streets".

18. halflife78

halflife78 OT Supporter

I am surprised they are going this route so early in his administration to be honest. I am even more surprised after this absolute mad rush of buying guns, applications for CC licenses, training course increases, ammo madness, etc. I figure someone monitoring this shit would of been letting him know the most active commodity market right now was firearms.

Oh well, if he wants to fuck himself over really good really quick go ahead and try this.

19. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

fuck i am so pissed i didn't preorder two scars now :mad:

20. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

Shit's on, brothers.

21. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

GOD YOU RACIST, OBAMA DOESN'T WANT TO TAKE AWAY YOUR GUNS HE NEVER SAID SO

22. I'm going to have to agree with you here.

23. Need More RWHP

Need More RWHP Got Horsepower?

Its not the teflon bullet that was actually nick named the cop killer, its any fucking rifle bullet. No joke. To answer an earlier question, you should be worried. stock up.

24. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

:wtc: stop yelling at meeh!!!

25. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

Wasn't the 5.7x28mm labeled that for the longest time?