time warner dvr service question.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by vicious151, Feb 4, 2009.

1. vicious151

vicious151 OT Supporter

I have searched this forum and the thread is 3 years old so I am asking this question again.

I know that Time warner charges like a 9 dollar service fee for DVR service but if I was to go and buy a new DVR box say from walmart could I just hook it up in another room and go? Or would I have to purchase another DVR service for this to work? I know they charge another service fee if you go through them but, my question is why wouldn't I be able to just hook up my own DVR receiver and just start recording? I mean isn't that the way VCR's worked back in the day. :dunno:

Your help is greatly appreciated thanks:bigthumb:

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

You can get a Tivo, but to get the movie channels, and the full hd lineup you'll have to rent a cable card from the cable company. So you're still paying for the card from the cable company. But then you add the cost of the tivo, plus the monthly fee which is more than the $9 you are already paying.

3. benk016

benk016 O&A Crew

The only DVR's there really are to buy are tivo's. There's also dvd recorders that will record like a vcr and you won't need to pay any fee's just hook it up and record. They used to have a dvd recorder at wal-mart that had a hard drive in it also so you could record to the hard drive and time shift tv, but they don't sell that one anymore that I know of

4. vicious151

vicious151 OT Supporter

Thanks guys