A&P Time to upgrade

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SkyAce2004, Jan 28, 2008.

1. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

Ive outgrown my Nikon D40 and want to upgrade to the D80. How much could I sell just the body for? The LCD screen is scratched up a little bit, but everything else is flawless.

Ive thought about keeping it as a backup camera, but I really dont like the lack of features (mainly the missing AF motor).

2. Missile Command Kid

Missile Command Kid New Member

Sorry to say it, but the D80 isn't much of an upgrade. If all you need is the D40 plus an AF motor, get a used D50. If you can wait for a few months, Nikon *should* be announcing the D40/D40x replacement soon, hopefully this week.

As for selling it: you can get a new D40 with an 18-55 lens for $470 at B&H. New bodies are selling on eBay for $360. So, a used body with cosmetic defects on the LCD, maybe $250?

3. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

The d80 is plenty of an upgrade for me. I dont care about the FPS, the extra MP is alright. But its got the AF motor, flash commander and few other goodies. And im not buying an outdated d50. The d40 is about as low as you can go as far as dSLR.

I purchased it to see I wanted to continue with the hobby before I started dumping some serious cash into it. I was thinking about the D200, but a lot of people say to just get the D80 instead. I dont have the money to afford a D300, although I would like to have one.

Im sticking with Nikon, as thats what kind of gear I already have, and Unless someone gives me a damn good reason why I shouldnt get the D80, my mind is already made.

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

The d80 is a great upgrade and very capable camera. The d200 is only better if you need the higher FPS. Don't go with the d50 as you'd be buying used and the only thing you really gain is the top display and an AF motor.