Time to Upgrade? + some questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by awns729, Jan 10, 2008.

1. awns729

awns729 New Member

Here are teh specs:
    Gigabyte ga-m55sli-s4 socket am2
    amd athlon 64 3500+ orleans I OC it sometimes :dunno:
    2.2 --> 2.4ghz, sometimes 2.6...nothing special, not too knowledgeable on OCing actually
    2 x 512 OCZ platinum (rev 1) 4-5-4-15 (or something like that) CAS4 memory ddr800
    2 x 250 wd 7200 rpm sata2 in raid 0
    1 x 160 wd eide 7200 rpm for backup + linux somewhere on there
    XFX 256mb geforce 4 6800
    500psu, dvdrw
    2 old crts (19'' and 17'')
    xp home

lemme knwo if i missed anything important?

My questions:

1) The 2x250 HDDs are in RAID 0. I had to install special drivers for XP to set this up. Does that mean for sure that it's software RAID? If so, should I change this?
    Also, I would like to maybe switch to RAID 5 for more data security. There's nothing on the array that's not backed up, but I'd have some peace of mind if it were in RAID 5, and I had to worry less about HDD failure. Any major drawbacks of switcihng -slower write speed, anything else? Comments?

2) Time for an upgrade? It's a lot slower than when I first got it, but that surprises me cuz I've degfragmented, and taken good general care of it. Or reformat time? New CPU/RAM? Please note that I can't afford a new build, so switching to Intel is probably out. Plus AMDs not so bad, right? Right? :blue:

3) When I partitioned I made a C drive for windows, D for storage, E for program files. It was my understanding that this a decent form of protection against viruses. Comments on that? Suggestions?

4) My network has WPA2 and firewall/virus software on all computers. As far as I can tell, there's not really any downside to sharing all my vids/music/photos on a network drive so I can acess from all computers?

5) Allowing NetBIOS to run (when it's blocked by default) by my firewall is probably not that big of a deal, correct?

6) Any good OCing websites/tutorials that explain in detail? haven't found a good one yet!

2. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

jesus christ...

3. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Research RAID. Cliffs: RAID5 > RAID0

upgrade cpu and get at least 2gb of ram
    Intel is just better right now

No. When a virus resides in RAM, your pc has superaids.

if it is protected, no problem

depends, do you use network apps?

most oc sites just cover the basics because technology changes often and overclocking varies for every system/component.

you'd be better of learning more by joining enthusiast forums like xtremesystems.org or ocforums.com

4. awns729

awns729 New Member

So is it worht it buying a 3rd HDD to RAID 5? How about switching to hardware RAID? Should I?

Yeah, I know c2d is pwning x2, but not worth upgrading the mobo for me, so maybe an x2 5000+ black edition or something like that?

Network wise, I use printer/file sharing. The computers wouldn't show up tin the workgroup w/out me allowing NetBIOS.

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

having a dedicated RAID controller card is more efficient but is not cheap
    you decide if it's worth it to you

X2 5000+ Black Edition
    Pros: cheap, unlocked multiplier
    Cons: doesn't come with a heatsink, not a Core 2 Duo

6. Ham Sammich

Ham Sammich New Member

http://www.overclockers.com

Did you even look?

7. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

I'm running this processor right now (q6600 is in the mail :mamoru:) and for the money, its basically a monster. I have it at 3.0ghz right now, without touching the voltage or the FSB. I've seen one as far as 4ghz on dry ice. You cant do any better for ~130. The cooler i'm using is the kingwin revolution. Its cheap and it cools very well.