Time to switch to ubuntu?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by gravity, Jan 8, 2009.

1. gravity

gravity New Member

Anybody funning any of the following? Let me know how it works.

Adobe Suite (Photoshop/Illustrator/Lightroom/Indesign)
    Steam W/ Many Games
    Crysis
    Starcraft

2. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

what are you asking?

Some of those things may run on GNU/Linux via wine (which is extremely EXTREMELY good nowadays, sometimes (often? I have had zero problems so far) runs windows apps better than windows itself), but you have so many apps then the chances are that they'll not all work good and so virtualizing will work.

New Virtual Boxes are getting guest 3D support, but I don't know how long it'll take to mature.

So your best bet is probably to run Ubuntu in VMWare on your Windows box, or is it that you're trying to get away from Windows being so prone to infection and shit?

Hell your games might have GNU/Linux ports.

3. gravity

gravity New Member

Well, I just put a new system together, and went through 3 Vista Discs trying to get it installed, to no avail. I settled on my Xp 32bit, but it obviously has the RAM limitations. So I thought Ubuntu might be worth a shot.

4. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

... what goes wrong during the Vista installation?

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm guessing they're stolen. Why else would he have three Vista disks just lying around waiting to get used?

*ubuntu won't run your games. Well...it might, using WINE, but it's not likely to work. I've never gotten anything to run in WINE, at least not without spending way more time than it was worth.

6. piratepenguin

piratepenguin New Member

Was this recently? Have you tried the latest wine, or are you talking about betas/pre-1.0?? Maybe you should try 1.0 or 1.1 (coming soon). I use 4 or 5 windows apps (well more like programs) that run 110% in wine. I never actually thought to try them in wine -- I have windows 2000 running in a vm, but my friend wanted to use them once and couldn't find them, and I wasn't around so he just went and downloaded & installed them, and it worked. That was surprising to me, but I didn't use wine (except for ies4wine) in over a year, and this is the way it is now. There are things wine does many times better than Windows. Do you do web-development? See http://ejohn.org/blog/accuracy-of-javascript-time/

OP, It looks to me like wine will most likely run your games 100% or 90%:
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=72
    http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=5880

It looks like Steam will work but will be buggy, but search the wine appdb for your steam games.
    http://appdb.winehq.org/

Why do you even need to ask? The great thing about Ubuntu is you just download and install it and do what ya like with it -- give it a try.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

The progress on WINE is really amazing.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Last I tried WINE was probably 4 months ago. Couldn't run Civ 4 or Caesar 3 or SimCity 4 or any of the games I actually like playing. I could give a shit about FPS games.

However, the idea of running games inside a Windows VM is probably pretty good, because VMware Server 2.0 is free and now supports DirectX.