GUN Time to qualify

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by NetChemica, Nov 22, 2008.

1. NetChemica

NetChemica OT Supporter

I enlisted into the Coast Guard and I'm leaving on Dec 9th. During basic I will need to qualify with a Sig P226.

I "practiced" with my friends Makarov 9mm. I did better than him but probably because he is right handed with a left dominant eye (has trouble shooting pistols but not rifles).

This was my grouping @ 10 yards.
    [​IMG]

I noticed when I used a police target (must smaller bulls eye) I had a tendency to hit to the lower-right of where I aimed.

You guys have any tips for me? I was going to practice some more and hopefully get comfortable with a hand gun before I enter basic.

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

3. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

Dry fire about a thousand times, and get to where you can squeeze the trigger without jerking at all. You pull because you're anticipating recoil - break that habit quickly, or it'll take forever to correct. You also pull because the mechanics in your hand sort of demand it ... if you make your hand like you're holding a gun, and squeeze as if there were a trigger to pull, you'll see not only your other fingers twitch, also the tendons in your hand move.

When I trained, the solution when shooting two-handed was basically to use your right hand only for trigger work (meaning: keep it limp on the gun, basically) and your left over your right for support. That's a terrible description, but the idea is to support the gun with your left hand, which doesn't move, and shoot with your right hand, which isn't applying pressure anywhere but the trigger.

Hope that helps.

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

5. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Best tip?

Stop fucking around and let them teach you what they want you to know so you don't draw attention to yourself.

Worry about higher education after Cape May.