Time to finally upgrade my phone

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by perry, Nov 29, 2004.

1. perry

perry burp

I'm currently, still, using a non-GSM Nokia 8260. It has served me well for over 3 years now, but has been going downhill since I ran it through the washing machine a few weeks ago. Still works, but...

I went to the Cingular store today just to look around and none of the phones really struck my fancy, except for maybe the V3 but the price is just obscene. Since I was just out tire kicking, I didn't wanna bother the rep when there were people waiting that seemed to actually want to buy something, so I don't know how to proceed.

Right now, I'm thinking that I'll pick up a Motorola V620 on eBay. I don't want to sign another contract for various reasons, so I figure if I'm paying a bundle for a phone that I may as well get what I want.

Would I be able to just walk in to the Cingular store and buy a SIM card and have my plan switched over to a GSM plan? Pay whatever charge there is for the SIM card and be done with it? Can I get any 64K SIM on eBay and call Cingular and ask them to switch my account over? Or are they going to want to sell me a phone as well?

Any advice?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

I didn't have any trouble getting just a SIM card and service from T Mobile. Since they lose money on most phones anyhow, I'd say that probably any provider would be happy to give you just a SIM card, though you'll most likely have to sign a new contract anyhow if you switch to a Cingular plan.

3. My Dixie Wrecked

My Dixie Wrecked STFU & get the ball!!! OT Supporter

whoa, deja vu from howard forums....

4. perry

perry burp

Hehe, yep! Pretty much decided that I'll get an unlocked phone from eBay and then just get my account switched over. I'm already a Cingular customer, just not GSM, so they should be able to sell me the SIM card.. I imagine people do that all the time.. get hand me down phones and want to activate it.

5. Anubis

Anubis Guest

What was the price of the V3 in your area?

6. perry

perry burp

Didn't even bother checking the price at the store. It was on a pedastal thing in the middle of a store covered by a big plexiglass box. Didn't even have one of the plastic demo phones on the shelves like they did for the rest of the phones.

Online it shows $500 w/ a 2year contract.

7. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

$499 with 2 year contract here in austin. the phone looks cool, but it's definitely intended for the fashion conscious peeps who care more about form than function. looks bad ass. put to shame feature-wise by the $99 V551.

8. perry

perry burp

Did a complete 180. Got tired of shopping around and stuff, so I went down to the Cingular store today and picked up a Nokia 6230 on a 2 year contract. So much fun to play with all the new features!