A&P Time to critique (or rip me apart)...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by dtfromep, Apr 8, 2005.

1. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

New camera, barely beginning to get settings down:

[​IMG]

This was a Canon 350d w/18-55 kit lens 1/160s, F9.0 @ 37mm. I know the sky is not exposed properly, any tips on getting better sky color w/o filters?

2. Scream_Phoenix

Scream_Phoenix Handsome Boy Model

my only critique is that he should be separated from the pole more. it is distracting with it coming out of his torso. the water looks really great tho :)

3. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

Haha, that is a self-photo (timer), I had to run out on the dock in short order - hence the rippling water. If I had the option, I would have composed it better w/o the stupid pole.

Any advice for getting the sky darker?

4. sony

sony Active Member

IF you want the sky darker, you're going to have to underexpose the picture a little bit, either by taking another frame which is darker (taking two frames, one properly exposed and one underexposed) and combining them or processing the RAW file twice.

You obviously get more range doing two shots, but when taking pics of people or yourself this seems a bit difficult, so RAW maybe your only option.

Of course you can always buy a tobacco filter and make it look like sunset all the time! :bowdown:

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

circular polarizers will bring out more blue in the sky depending on time of day

6. Malghanim

Malghanim My wee wee has been Stricken with Rigor Mortis

looks cool to me, but seperationg from the pole ike they said, I feel like there isnt enough color, but hey Im a newb at photography so dont tak my word for it!! :wiggle:

7. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

I 100% agree with you about the color. Unfortunately, it is still pre-spring around the upper midwest here (not a whole lot of color to be had just yet).

8. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

I don't rate those sort of filters.. once you know they've probably been used you spot them from a mile off and it looks cheesy unless done well.

The only problem with a polariser is it might cut down your water reflection, you'd have to angle it so it didn't and hope that it still cuts some exposure out of the sky. but that would be my preferred option, it just depends whether the shot will still work given that your shutter speed will be halved.