time spent on detailing clients

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by FUCKP1G, Apr 12, 2008.

1. FUCKP1G

FUCKP1G Guest

ive noticed that im actually losing money when i detail client cars, esp when theyre black.
    i dont charge much due to being on forums etc, and in a job alone just basically covers the materials used. it usually takes me 8 hours of non stop work. am i taking too long? am i doing something wrong?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I'm on forums and I charge OT members full price. If you want quality clients, you need a pricing structure that says "quality". Price your work so you make at least $30-35 an hour after your costs. If you are on either coast, make it $40-45 due to the higher cost of living.

3. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I think that the time spent is relative to how difficult the vehicle is, whether or not you're familiar with that model and what environment you were trained in. I'm sure some visitors to this subforum are self-taught, others work/worked in dealerships or body shops and others only know how to spend 6-8 hours per car. Each will yield a different result.

If you're only making enough to cover the cost of product, either charge more or use less. The only alternative would be to refocus your primary goal towards keeping a schedule. Using a full detail as an example- I know I spend the most time on the driver side front of the interior because it's the most involved, almost always the dirtiest, and highly inspected by the customer post delivery. That said, I set a time limit for that section proportionate to how long I want to spend on the job.

You can either detail cars to make friends or make money.

4. TheKrazyRaven

TheKrazyRaven New Member

i always charge more for a black car because well i hate doing black, and i own a black car myself :eek3:

5. kuzikan

kuzikan New Member

LOL i thought the OP meant "black" clients!!

6. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Thats how I read it too lol

7. kuzikan

kuzikan New Member

good at least now i dont feel so bad

8. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

LOL!

I started charging higher prices and started attracting higher end clients. The thing is, you have to do what you have to do when you start out. I did full details on SUVs for 50.00 when I started out. I was new and had no rep yet plus I was scared to ask for more money. 2.5 years later just about everyone around has seen me or heard of me. I now get 75.00 to do a simple clean up on an Excursion.

From last Tuesday (a week ago) to this Friday, I did a total of 32 vehicles. This ranged from wash and vacs to full details. I did 2 boats also. It was crazy and I'm tired. The thing is I made 1600.00 but I made sure that I made 50.00 an hour. It was from hard work and selling myself of these last few years......only 5 were new clients. I'm in no way bragging but trying to motivate.