SRS time off from work...conflicting...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Charles Queensferry, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Charles Queensferry

Charles Queensferry OT Supporter

Since moving to VA, I recently found a part-time job with a paint company as a delivery driver, while I go for my pilot's license's...the goal being that Im able to make flying my overall career.

I have been with this company since the end of January, and they CAN'T get me going full time, so I have to suffer with only 30 hours a week, no benefits or paid time off, etc.

Now, there are 5 people that work in this store...due to people getting potential overtime, about 2-3 times a week, the store is run by 3 people (one being me, out on deliveries most of the day).

I wanted to get time off in July (one week to go to Myrtle beach) and it conflicts with my boss who has the same week off. Normally Id bite the bullet and wait for another week, but this is a week I have been anticipating since last August, when I booked my room, not knowing that Id quit my job then, and move to VA for my pilots licenses.

Along with that, my boss definately takes advantage of being THE boss. We are open 7 days a week, and out of the 5 of us, only 3 of us work the weekends...one of them being me. He NEVER works any on the weekends, and he NEVER stays in the store till close...always leaves around 4pm (store closes at 6).

The week in which we conflict, is going to be his second of 2 straight weeks that he is taking off. (during prime paint season)

I want to tell him that Im taking the vacation regardless, as I see it, the store can handle being short handed for a week, as we do it almost 3 full days a week anyhow. But he will bitch Im sure, and I worry that it MAY complicate the relationship between him and I. (he gets pissy at the smallest of things, and make my life at the job annoying).

What do you all think? This isnt going to be my permanent job, so I figure I tell them to go to hell if they don't give me the week off...or how should I go about it?:hsd:

2. roddick

roddick New Member

I would look for another job and if I found one I would wait until a couple days before your scheduled trip and quit on the spot. (in a perfect world that is what I would do)

Have you talked to the boss about it yet? I dont see where you mentioned it if you did. Maybe if you come to him in a calm and respectful manner and toss in the nonrefundable trip you have paid for already etc. If that doesnt work, look for another job then give your 2 weeks if you find something you can deal with until the pilot thing takes over.

3. Charles Queensferry

Charles Queensferry OT Supporter

When I mentioned to him about how we need to go about scheduling a week off, his first response was "its not the 18th-26th is it?" and at that time I had thought the week I needed off was the last week in July, so I said that his time and mine wasn't going to conflict.

Even after that, he said "man, Ill have to think about it, thats our prime season" (knowing full and well that he is taking a full 2 weeks prior to that for vacation).

Kind of a 1 way street with that guy...he gets everything, everyone else gets shit...I guess being the boss, thats how it goes, but to that extent, he really strains on everyone, not helping out with the work load for weekends (of which I work 3 out of every 4 weekends each month).

His response to asking why he doesnt do weekends is "I did my time"...the guy has been there for 6 years, Ive seen managers who have been working 20+ years and still come in and help out every now and then...he does not.

4. Gillzeebub

Gillzeebub New Member

you really only have 2 options...
    1: get a new job and quit ur other one.
    2: suck it up and forget the holiday...

You'd be crazy to go jobless when your paying for flying lessons just for a holiday.
    Alternatively, u could try and show ur boss wat a necessary member of staff u are and persuade him he needs to sweeten the deal to keep u on (ie give u ur holiday or ur out)