Time Machine - What the fuck is this thing anyway?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by macbook bro, Apr 28, 2010.

1. macbook bro

macbook bro Guest

I thought this was an automatic backup utility but it seems to be something else entirely :o

I just want it to backup my files for me every week or so... but it looks like system restore out of windows ME, like it wants to make an image of my drive every minute or some shit. This is Mac OSX, I'm not worried about a crash, just losing my laptop or having it stolen.

To give a little more info, I set up a partition on my external hard drive that was about the same size as the built in hard drive on my macbook pro. Then I said, Time Machine engage. But it said I didn't have enough space... wtf?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2010
  2. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Its a full and incremental backup system that will allow you to restore your system. You can make selections as to what you want it to backup, but I think it will always copy the files that will allow for a full recovery if needed.

If you want a simply backup of your files, there is a lot of software out there that will allow you to do that.

3. macbook bro

macbook bro Guest

any recommendations for alternatives then?
    do they have 3rd party software that will detect what I've changed and only backup the new stuff/delete stuff i've deleted from the backup?

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Dude, Time Machine fucking rocks. I was just like you...I only wanted my pictures and documents backed up as they were very valuable to me. Then I tried Time Machine and it has saved my ass twice when installing shit or accidently deleting stuff...and it saves my photos and documents.

5. macbook bro

macbook bro Guest

Yeah I actually read the little dialog box and apparently it wasn't working because I had set the partition to less than the total size of the original HD, and it needed more than the original HD for "working space", so I re-made the partitions and I'm just going to use time machine now. I figure if I find I don't want it to backup all the time I can just turn it off in the settings.

next step: boot camp / windows install :coold: intel macs :bowdown:

6. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

You're backing up to a partition? Just get a firewire/usb external the size of the HD (or smaller, doesn't really matter) and back it up to it. I have well over a month worth of backups on a 250gb HD.

7. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

My Time Machine drive died a month ago. Think it's more likely the case then the drive itself. In the past couple years I've had a half dozen cases die. Even the more expensive ones haven't been any better. :hs:

8. macbook bro

macbook bro Guest

hd in the laptop is 250gb
    i set a 270gb partiton on my external

9. macbook bro

macbook bro Guest

i had it set to 249 before it said too small