Time machine question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fukijama1, Mar 1, 2008.

1. fukijama1

fukijama1 OT Supporter

i know when you use time machine it has to format the drive your going to use to a certain format. my question is can you still use that drive on a windows based pc? or is the drive only be able to be used on mac systems?

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

i don't know enough about the mac/windows formats but I believe the macs can see windows format but windows can't see mac format. I may be wrong though...

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

The Time Machine drive has to be formatted for HFS+ which is the standard Mac formatting.

Windows cannot read HFS+. You can install the program MacDrive on your Windoze machine which will allow it to be read.

Time Machine doesn't like sharing the drive with anything else. If you are using Time Machine, I recommend you use that drive for Time Machine only and nothing else.

4. fukijama1

fukijama1 OT Supporter

how about if i set the external drive to have 2 partitions? one that is for time machine and 1 for windows NTFS

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

You can do that. Still, I would recommend that you dedicate the drive exclusively to Time Machine. Drives are cheap now. Messing around with multiple partitions and 2 different OS' could cause issues and I don't think it's really worth the chance of losing your backup.

6. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Partitioning the drive shouldn't cause any other problems.

7. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

This seems like a bit of FUD to me.

Time Machine loves extra space, the more space the more backup information it will save.

However, I don't see how the two partitions would screw anything up.

8. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

I do. If you partition the drive for Mac and Windows, start using the Mac side for Time Machine and then later down the line decide that you want to install Windows on the NTFS partition, there's a good chance that Windows will shit all over the drive Master Boot Record (MBR) and make the entire drive unreadable. Recoverable probably, but not without special drive utilities, and even some of those utils won't see HFS+ partitions correctly.

Just ask any Linux / Windows dual-booter that tried to install Linux first, they've gone through this. The Windows install process can easily fuck with the MBR. But it's way worse when Windows takes out a drive being used for backup.

If you don't install Windows you are probably ok, but TheWeasel's right in the larger sense. If you are serious about backup, you will physically segregate your data. If you just wanna fuck with Time Machine then it's not as important.

9. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

I totally agree with this statement. I have had the same issues before, many times and had to do manual reinstallations of GRUB, but I did not get the impression that he wanted to install windows, simply use the external with Windows as a storage medium.

To the threadstarter, I also totally agree with this. I'm super anal about my backups, I have an external hard drive for backing up my documents, another for backing up my photos and also back up my external drives to my server because they often are thrown in my laptop/camera bags and brought along for whatever adventure I'm getting myself into.

10. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

But the original poster was talking about an external hard drive. The MBR is kept on the primary internal hard drive.

11. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:wtf:

Every disk has an MBR/VBR (or GPT (link), or APM (link)). At the very least, it's where the partition table for the disk is stored. If you didn't have this information in the boot sector, the disk would be unusable.

12. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

Yeah, he probably won't install Windows but it's better to be aware of the pitfalls before you do anything, I figured :dunno:

:werd: one of the main advantages to segregated backup is increased odds of survivability. If you back up to your home server and (god forbid) your house burns down, you're fucked. If your backup is a portable USB hard drive, it's at least somewhat likely that it will stay with your laptop if you're using it with Time Machine (just an example here). But copies in different locations is generally a good thing.

13. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Anyone know a good way to lay off time machine backups to DVD or tape? Toast hangs every time I try it, no matter how many directories I try :dunno:

14. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Fuck no it doesn't. I tried partitioning my time machine drive, no go.