A&P Time Lapse Photo

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by fatass, Mar 16, 2007.

1. fatass

fatass New Member

So there's some new houses going up across the street and I want to take daily pictures of it's construction. I figure just shoot from the same angle at the same time everyday right? Is there a 'right' way to do this?

2. good luck :bigthumb:

but if you seriously want to try it I'd start off by getting a second camera and second tripod. set it all up how you want it to be every day. then before you move the tripod/camera after you're done shooting spraypaint the ground where you set the tripod so you can know where to set it up the next day. :hsd: :dunno:

3. fatass

fatass New Member

Sounds like a good idea! But how come I need the second camera for this?

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

who doesn't need a second camera :dunno:

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

you dont. but to do it properly you shouldnt breathe on your camera in between shots.

6. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

Yeah if you ever move the tripod you'll never get them to line up perfectly. If you can leave the tripod there and leave a quickmount plate on your camera you may be able to clip it in every day and take a picture.

7. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

at the very least you'd have to have a solid way of mounting the camera like Corn says. Otherwise you will have a hell of a time making the shots all line up when you put them together. If it's out on the street the best you can do is mark the pavement, lock the head of your tripod solid and set the legs in the exact same spot each day.

Edit - either take the shot at the same time each day, or you could take it a few minutes later every day so that over the whole construction period it looks like 1 day has passed. that would be really cool, but who has the time :)

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  8. dano

dano OT Supporter

Do you have a windowsill that faces where you want to take the shot? Trace out your camera on it if possible and just put it down in the same exact spot each time.

Or as mentioned, marking the place where you'll put the tripod down each time but then you get into the problem of having to have the tripod adjusted the same each time which is next to impossible.

9. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

Wont you need to take more than one pic a day ... I know most of the walls will go up in a day

10. You don't really need a second camera, but depending on how often you shoot (when you're not doing the time lapse) it would be nice to have a camera + tripod dedicated to the time lapse so you don't have to change settings all the time and risk screwing up the project.

Also I'd talk to the foreman to let him know what you're doing, he obviously won't care but if every day at 5:00pm you're right across from them taking pics and no one knows why, the workers might get alittle upset. :dunno:

11. Yeah I would think so, guess it all depends on how big the building is and how dedicated and involved he wants to get with the project. :dunno: