Time for new tires!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Deus Ex Aethera, Jul 26, 2004.

1. My mom has a '99 Mazda 626 and her tires are shot. She damn near spun out and crashed the other day when she was driving in the rain.

She has Michelin MXV4 Plus tires right now, and they worked well before now but they've always been too noisy (although that could be an insulation problem). If anybody has any ideas on a sticky and quiet all-season passenger car radial (preferably Michelin or Pirelli, but any ideas are welcome), please suggest it.

2. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

Mazda engineers put alot of time into choosing the right tires for that car. If you're not looking for some sticky-as-hell performance tire, and especially since it's your mom's car, just go with what was on it from the factory.

3. Atheist

Atheist oh, hi OT Supporter

4. 8 Ball

8 Ball I'm taking my ball and I'm going home

No they didn't. They chose those tires because they work well and most importantly they have low rolling resistance so they can put better gas milage numbers on the window sticker. Go to the tirerack and find tires that best suit YOU and don't worry about what Mazda engineers chose as the best compromise for the "general public".

[/QUOTE=mrduke]Mazda engineers put alot of time into choosing the right tires for that car. If you're not looking for some sticky-as-hell performance tire, and especially since it's your mom's car, just go with what was on it from the factory.[/QUOTE]

5. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

6. 8 Ball

What the fuck difference does it make you loser; my post still stands. Don't buy tires just because their OEM, buy tires that fit YOUR needs; whether your a racer or drive like a grandma. So fist yourself.

7. mrduke

mrduke OT Supporter

and they didn't take safety/traction/treadwear into consideration :rolleyes: it's for his MOM, does your mom look for canyon roads so she can rag out her 626? that's a nice attitude for so few posts, you'll fit in very well here. go post on clubsi.com if you wanna be an internet badass :greddy:

8. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

The point is his mom has no special needs. Any all season tire in the proper size will be more than adequate for her.

9. 8 Ball

Im not giving you a shitty attitude. Im saying they didn't put THAT much thought into the tires. Any name brand tire will have good safety/traction/treadwear ratings. And just about any tire is better than factory. OEM tires and always hard, so they provide better MPG, it helps sell more cars. Even if your mom does drive slow and civilized, she's still your mom and I would put my mom on softer tires because even if you never exceed the speed limit, softer tires will still decrease your stopping distance and help accident avoidance.

10. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

Is that why the factory Turanza's on my Miata have a treadwear rating of only 140? :)

11. 8 Ball

A Miata is a whole 'nother story. Thats a pure sports car so they equiped it as such. The 626 is a grocery getter so they use economy tires.

12. NiNe7-Gxe

NiNe7-Gxe New Member

i just bought some bridgestone potenzas re 750 they seem really good for the money