Time for a new car stereo? All 4 speakers fail.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Falconer, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I'll be the first to admit I don't know anything about this stuff.

Four years ago I got a high end Pioneer Premier deck, new front speakers, an amp, and a sub all installed. Everything worked perfectly for 3 years.

At the 3 year mark, my interior speakers would all cut out at once, but the sub would continue to play. About 3 minutes later, the speakers would come back on and play fine for months.

This happened more and more frequently, tho, and started to get annoying. I noticed sometimes it was triggered by hitting a bump in the road.

Once my speakers went out and I got pissed, so I punched the speaker housing in my door and they came back on.

Recently it went out and failed to come back on for a few days. I took it to Circuit City where I had it installed and talked to two different guy, both of whom said it was probably the deck dying. They said if it was one speaker connection failing, then only one speaker would go out and not all the speakers. They said the reason the sub stays on is because it has its own channel output from the deck, which is not having issues. I asked "how come bumps in the road fix/break it?" He said maybe the vibration was causing something in the unit to move into/out of place. I asked "how come when I hit the speaker once that fixed it?" He didn't know.

But he told me that they were not wired in parallel, so if only one speaker failed, all of them would NOT go out. He said the reason they're all going out is because the deck itself is failing.

He pulled everything out and looked at it, and when he put it back in, nothing would play (not even the sub this time).

Questions: did my deck die? I can't help but think the CC guy was being honest because he wasn't trying to sell me any shit in the process.

Oh, the CC guy said he could only diagnose the problem if it was happening when he saw it. So on the way there my speakers weren't working, but I hit a bump and they came back on. I was like "oh no he won't be able to see what I'm talking about!" but 2 seconds later they went out and stayed out.

Thanks.

2. Waddup you?

Waddup you? OT Supporter

do you know how the speakers are hooked up? is the amp just for the sub and the head unit is powering the speakers? I would check for physical connections first(speaker terminals), then the fuse for the amp. I say the fuse for the amp because my fuse on the distribution block didnt go out, but the fuse itself in the glass casing was loose, and would get rattled so it wouldnt make a connection, then rattle itself into a connection from a bump in the road.

I think if your deck died, your display wouldnt work, but I dont know.

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Yes sir, that is correct.

Deck (50w) --> all 4 interior speakers
    Amp --> sub

We pulled out the deck and checked all connections. Are you saying I should check the speakers as well?

Could that affect the speakers even tho it's not powering them?

Thanks.

4. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

Problem #1: You went to circuit city

Problem #2: Does sound like it is a deck problem... Check the ground.

Also, my friend's alpine is having a somewhat similar problem. Turns out someting in the harness is messed up. It wont turn on unless you phsyically put your hand behind the deck and hold the harness plug tight to the deck. When he lets go, the head unit turns off. I'm thinking the harness plug is messed up but we haven't pulled it out to verify.

edit: best thing is to run an amp to power your speakers seperately. You're head unit isn't working to push the speakers and you will get a louder, cleaner, overall better sound

5. AirWaveGT

AirWaveGT Do tiny black horses eat ice cream while dancing

if one of the speakers is grounding out then all of them will cut out due to the radio going into "protection" mode to not fuck up its internal amp.

6. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

how do i check the ground? sorry i know like nothing about electronics.

the only other place around here is Tweeter but they wanted $68 to look at it. i was like :ugh:

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yep. internal amp circuit will shut down the output to keep from killing teh radio

8. AirWaveGT

AirWaveGT Do tiny black horses eat ice cream while dancing

id fix it for you if you lived in md :dunno:

9. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

i used to have to go to MD for business at my last job. Too bad I always rented a car.