Time correction

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kieffer87, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

How many of you guys actually take the time to setup time correction in your car stereos? If you have the option on your deck. And do you really notice that big of a difference?

2. Zeromancer

Zeromancer Pampita's Love Slave

time as in clock
    or
    time as in millisecond delays?

3. Grouch

Grouch Guest

it's over rated.

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

:werd:

the only time i fuck with time modifications is in my living room since my listening position is a ways back

5. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

I completely disagree.

It all depends on speaker placement.

I have a fully active setup in my truck, my Alpine 9835 has a full 3way active xover, I have separate amplifiers for my Tweeters, Mids, and Subwoofer.

Time correction is very helpful for me. I have my mids in .2cubes sealed fiberglass doorpods, and the tweeters mounted near the A-pillar (to keep the soundstage up). My subwoofer is behind me, firing up.

The difference is NIGHT AND DAY with TimeCorrection on/off. If you actually measure it out, it's great. I measured it, wrote it down... and then used iPersonalize on Alpine's website to set mine and loaded it on my HU.

It brings the soundstage together, images it DIRECTLY in the center of my dashboard, and all the music/sound blends VERY well.

Just my thoughts, people who don't like it either don't know how to use it properly... or are too lazy to take the time to set it up properly.

:).

6. Kieffer87

I also have the 9835, love it, I was just saying in the other thread how much control you have with it. Anyways I might have to measure shit out one of these days and head to alpines site and check it out. I have only just messed around while driving and you can tell a huge difference just by adjusting certain speakers. I didn't know if properly tuned though if it would make that much of a difference. I was reading in the manual and it looks kinda tedious.

7. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

It shouldn't take very long to set it up, just take some measurements from where your head is to each speaker and perform a simple calculation (usually provided in the manual) to find the millisecond delay and attenuation for each speaker. It's worth it in the end. The first time I did it on my Eclipse it took maybe 10-15 minutes.

8. Kieffer87

In your previous post you said you set yours to the center of the dash. Do I want to set it there or to my head?

9. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I said that in a previous post? I believe you're thinking of someone else, unless it was a post several months old.

Anyways, if you have passengers a lot, then I guess I could see setting it to the point in between the driver's and passenger's seat headrests, but then there is a delay for both people. Since you will probably be the one driving the car the majority of the time and without passengers it makes the most sense to have all sounds arrive at the same time at your own head, so that it gives you the impression of being directly in between all the speakers.

10. Kieffer87

It was ngsm13's post I was referring too, I didn't look close enough and thought it was you. But yea I will probably just tune it for my head. I think im going to tackle this after work, I'll let you guys know how it goes!

11. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Yeah, take out a tape measure... and measure from your ears to each speaker.

After time alignment, it should sound as if the sound is coming from 1 concentrated point... or your soundstage. Mine imaged correctly sounds as if it's from the center of the dash.

nG

12. Kieffer87

Wow, I never would have thought that it would actually change the sound image that much. Only took about 10 minutes at the most and it's a night and day difference.

13. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

14. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

if you pay enough attn to the settings, you can sit there and play with them and literally hear the audio moving around with the delay. i put in a live cd in a car with a time corr hu one time and walked the vocals from right kick, up the doors, across the dash, then back down the door into the left kick. it was pretty cool.

and the idea behind the time correction is to give your ears the perception that there is a concert going on up on the dash. the goal is to replicate a live performance where all the sound is in front of you as much as possible.

15. Kieffer87

Yea I noticed that when just messing around you could move the sound all over. Maybe its just my imagination but everything seems more clear, even the bass seems to be more on que.

16. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yeah it's amazing how phase can play with your ears and lead them to believe everything is different. it's really nothing more than an adjustment of phase.

17. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Eh... it's more of a delay ;)...

18. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

lies fucker!

ok maybe.