TIME CAPSULE PEOPLE: Partitioning

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by inamorata, Mar 3, 2008.

1. inamorata

inamorata New Member

there are three of us in my apartment. i want to buy a time capsule for us all, partition the drive into 3 parts, and have us each backing up.

possible?

also, in general, how the hell is time capsule, looks sick.

2. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

No need to partition the drive. All 3 backups will be separate on the drive automatically.

3. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

i think weasel is right

but for what it's worth, i partitioned a USB drive into two drives just to keep my backups in their own little sandbox, and it works well....shows up as two separate drives in osx

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

On the Time Machine drive you will see a folder called Backups.backupdb. Inside it you will find a folder for each user who is backing up to that drive. So you'd have folders for User1, User1, and User3. Inside of those are folders for each backup performed (named with time and date). Something like this pic but you'd have additional folders for each user.

[​IMG]

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

:werd: it will do it automatically

6. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

hope you guys don't have anything on your computers you don't mind your roommates seeing, should they decide to peruse the time capsule drive :o

7. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Cause they totally couldn't just walk into the other guys room and go on their machine?

8. inamorata

inamorata New Member

not if its password protected

9. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

Is it still possible to partition a Time Capsule drive? I want one however I do not need 500GB for a backup.

10. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

you can password protect your backups

11. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

That depends on who you are but yes for the normal user password protection should keep most people out.

The more space you give Time Machine the better as it can store older backups and more frequent backups. I would say that 300GB-500GB would be a minimum. Now are you asking if it's possible to partition a Time Machine drive after you have started using it? Yes it is but I wouldn't recommend it. Dynamic partitioning is a bit dangerous and you should always backup your drive before doing it so unless you have another drive to backup your Time Machine drive to I wouldn't recommend you mess around with it.

You may be able to password protect backups on the Time Capsule but you can't on an external hard drive attached to your Mac as a Time Machine drive (this is one of the reasons that government hasn't made the transition to 10.5).

12. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

No i was just asking if you can partition a Time Capsule. I've used Time Machine before and I do not need more than 150GB at the most for a backup.

13. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

OK. Yeah you can partition the drive. Time Machine sees the volume, not the device.