Tilt vs. iPhone vs. ? ---internet capability

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CowsniperRX7, Dec 14, 2007.

1. CowsniperRX7

CowsniperRX7 Rear Admiral

Hello all, I have been looking at the Tilt and the iPhone and was wondering what sort of differences I could expect in internet browsing capability (if any).

I'm looking for some alternatives to the iPhone that I can use for web browsing/e-mail.

Are there any other phones out now, or coming out soon, that will have a web browser as good as/better than the iPhones?

Thanks!

2. Bitter Moose

Bitter Moose OT Supporter

IMO the IE browser in Windows Mobile blows. I went from an 8525 to an Iphone because of safari mobile. The iPhone gets way better battery life but doesn't have 3G. If 3G is a must; then by all means, get the Tilt and load pages 30 seconds faster. Yeah, the iPhone isn't perfect, but it's leading the pack right now.

3. CowsniperRX7

I've been looking at the Windows Mobile 6 os and I played with the browser on it. I'm not impressed. Damn it ill have to wait till the new crap comes out. I don't like the iPhone except for the browser.

Is there any site that has info on phones to come out in the future?

4. Bitter Moose

Probably just going to have to check the mobile blogs for upcoming stuff. I read Engadget pretty often and usually have a good idea of what's coming out, so that's what I'm going to recommend.
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/

5. CowsniperRX7

6. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

how are blackberries for viewing webpages and whatnot?

7. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Blackberries can't compare to the iPhone in browsing. If you're a power user looking to create and edit documents on the fly get the Tilt. For browsing and media you can't beat the iPhone. 3G really doesnt make a big difference. The Tilt will load a web page faster but you can navigate it much faster with the iPhone.

8. dvd

dvd OT Supporter

qft.

The iphone wins in terms of webbrowsing and speed hands down. I would stay away from the tilt, windows mobile is horrible. Blackberries are awesome, you can download opera mini and it has a feature of zooming in sorta like an iphone. I chose a blackberry over iphone because it has a keyboard.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I wish I could use a blackberry with a sprint power vision plan and not have to pay extra for the uber-gay bb service. I don't care about the push email enough to pay $30mrc. :hs:

10. Bitter Moose

You get screwed no matter what service you're using. On AT&T if you have anything considered a "PDA" you have to pay for the pda data plan, which is considerably more than just the regular data plan. They all work like that for any phones that are worth having a data plan on.

11. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

So is the Tilt considered a PDA by AT&T? I have a friend that's looking at getting one and was saying something about one place was charging less for the phone but you couldn't go with the cheaper data plan. Is he just mis-informed and you have to go with the PDA data plan with it?

12. CowsniperRX7

I have AT&T and will probably end up going with the Tilt. Add the unlimited text plan for $10 and switch over to the iPhone unlimited data plan for $20. I hope they let me do that.

13. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Not gonna work. iPhone plans are exclusive to the iPhone and can't be used with any other device.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

so activate an iphone plan and swap the sim. They won't know or care.

15. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Not really sure that'll work all that well either. iPhone SIM doesn't store address book, etc on the SIM like most phones. The system also polls the phone type when it initially signs on so it may not work. Give it a try, but it seems like a big waste of money just to save a couple bucks a month.

16. Gimik

Gimik New Member

tilt + picsel browser > Iphone.

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have a curve 8310 which technically "requires" a bb data plan, but if I use a non-bb-plan sim card, the voice/sms works fine (just no internet/email) And my bb-sim-card works fine in a spare gsm razr.

18. Netwit

Netwit Pass the Kerbango

The iPhone has the best internet browser hands down. If you're using primarily outlook, the iPhone isn't for you though.

19. BIGsteev

BIGsteev New Member

if you're using outlook, you might as well just switch to mail (os x) and go with iPhone anyway

20. quickone

quickone New Member

you dont HAVE to have a data plan if you get the pantech duo or tilt....im pretty sure...my friend jus got the duo and he didnt get the data plan

EDIT: yeah just called and you don't have to get a data package on phones like that.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2008
  21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

not if you use exchange.

22. quickone

quickone New Member

well I ordered the tilt and left verizon...waiting for it to arrive in a few days so right now i have to use a shitty ass razr...but i like the fact that i can switch phones whenever i want.