WEB Thunderbird outgoing email servers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Falconer, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Falconer

Falconer Active Member OT Supporter

Jun 23, 2006
    Alright, the hostgator chat guy wasn't able to answer this question, so i turn to OT :bowdown:

Alright, say I have 4 domains, domain1.com, domain2.com, domain3.com and domain4.com.

Each domain has its own email address, which is support@whatever-the-domain is.

I have Thunderbird configured to check and access all 4 email addresses.

Thunderbird requires each email addy to have its own incoming mail server. This makes sense. mail.domain1.com, mail.domain2.com, mail.domain3.com, and mail.domain4.com.

But for outgoing mail server, it only asks for one mail server total for all the addresses.

So I have to pick the outgoing mail server from domain 1, 2, 3 or 4.

This is annoying, because say for the outgoing mail server I chose domain1's server. Now, anytime I want to log in and send email at domain 2, 3, or 4, not only do I have to log into that address, but i also have to log into domain 1's address in order to be able to send it.

So say I need to send an email from [email protected]. The process is this:

Open Thunderbird
    Click "inbox" for domain2.
    Enter my password for domain2
    Compose new mail
    Click "send"
    now i have to enter the password for domain1 because that's which outgoing mail server it's using.

Is there a way I can set up Thunderbird so that EACH email address has its OWN outgoing mail server?

Right now if I change the Outgoing Server for one address, it changes it to the same thing for all of them.

2. drpepper

drpepper Active Member

Nov 13, 2006
    you are aware you can just save the password to use it every time right? all you're doing is sending email through that smtp server, nothing else. there is absolutely no reason to have multiple smtp servers in your email client.
  3. Audioholic

Audioholic New Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Just save your password so you dont need to type it in everytime and it does not matter what outgoing email server you use the people getting the email have no clue all they see is the reply to address.
  4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Sep 20, 2001
    When composing email in T-bird, at the top of the message above the "To:", there is a "From" dropdown with all of your accounts in there. You really only need 1 SMTP server anyway. It doesn't matter that you use the particular smtp for each domain