Throwing routine to develop arm strength?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by GilgaMesH, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

trying to get more arm strength for baseball and was going to order "Thrive on Throwing" but it costs money and shit....and that sucks...

So before i did it, was just wondering if anyone here knows of a routine to go through to develop arm strength and throw harder?

2. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

like christophers has said

3. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Technique and form > strength.

4. Sgt. Ownage

Sgt. Ownage you gon' be just fiiiine

true...i was a pitcher for 10 years and i was throwing 60mph in 5th grade

5. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Technique is definitely most important for throwing speed. But obviously developing a more powerful body will help as well.

1. Do plenty of external rotations because whenever you're throwing you're working internal rotation, so you need the ext. rotations to prevent imbalances and injury.

2. Do plenty of work for the lats, rear delts, scapular retractors and biceps. The lats and biceps decelerate your arm and your ability to accelerate your arm is limited by how well you are able to decelerate it.

3. For legs do plenty of squats, deadlifts, and particularly single-leg work because throwing a baseball and running involves transference of one leg to the other.

4. For abs work on rotational exercises like woodchoppers, russian twists, medicine ball stuff, etc....you will probably want to do more work going in the opposite direction of the way you turn when you throw (to avoid muscular imbalances).

6. GilgaMesH

GilgaMesH Active Member

well I didn't really mean "arm strength" in a way that meant that I'm able to move a lot of weight or anything, I meant it in terms of throwing strength. Like strengthening and stretching muscles in my arm so that I generate more power while throwing.

And thanks Ceaze :cool:

7. SoFlaJDM

SoFlaJDM Guest

i can barely bench 150 and i can easily throw a ball 80+ mph(it's been proven on a radar)... what you need to do is play long toss lots of it... you probably know, but its basically playing catch at long distances. every 10 throws, take a few steps back and repeat. Hope this helps

8. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Well, bench press doesn't train the muscles that help you throw hard. Jason Ferruggia trains 3 professional pitchers and he says they all deadlift over 500.

9. gourmizz

gourmizz New Member

10. SoFlaJDM

SoFlaJDM Guest

not saying it did... just saying how weak I am :o

11. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

you throw with your legs and run with your arms. :)

12. I'm a pitching coach. To throw harder and further you need to simply throw more. I have my kids throw a lot of long toss. It's a tremendous help. I also have my guys take grounders at SS to further help them get used to long throws.

The other thing that's extremely important is to be in top physical condition. If you are throwing faster than your arm can handle you're going to develop shoulder and elbow problems down the road. Do those external rotations and DB raises. Lat pulldowns with moderate weight and pullovers also help a lot. Work on your grip and forearms as well. Work on flexibility too

And last but not least, work on throwing mechanics. Take a curl hop for rhythm and momentum, make sure that when your arm is cocked back and ready to throw that your chin is above your belt buckle, keep your hips closed until the throw opens them up, plant a slightly bent but stiff front leg, and do not forcibly push off the ground with your back leg...just let any "push" happen as natural forward momentum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.