A&P throwing myself to the dogs v.wedding video

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Climbing Cracker, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Climbing Cracker

Climbing Cracker I am the Devil. And I am here to do the Devil's w

2. Climbing Cracker

man, i'm seeing some nasty interlacing...:ugh2:

3. Bloke

Bloke Banned

i think some of the time your camera should have been at a higher height, looking down, especialy in the church. other than that its good

4. Climbing Cracker

thanks! i would have preferred to be elsewhere with the cam, but there was no balcony. i'm looking into a 2nd DVX for angles and dynamics...PAGING YARDSALE!!!!!...just waiting on tax time to roll around.

5. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

1. reduce camera shake as much as possible

There are a few times where I can see a small shake before the crossdissolve is finished. If you were to cut the clip .1 seconds shorter it wouldn't even be seen.

2. instead of zooming in/out for transitions, try a pan onto the church

What I mean is start so its all sky and come in at an angle until its properly framed.

another trick I learned, if you have a fish or wideangle. Start zoomed all the way in and its really blurry because the lens can't handle it. As you slowly zoom out everything will slowly come into focus. This is great at nighttime coming out of the reception door or something from the parking lot, especially if you can see people dancing through the lit windows

3. I would chop the clips a tad shorter

overall your length works but I would rather cut them shorter to be more concise and to the point while at the same time being just as dramatic

4. the guestbook shots are great, I would take the exact same shots

when in doubt, cross dissolve out is a motto I love for weddings

Overall it looks pretty good, I am sure they are going to love it. Those are just a few tips on how I get the job done. I primarily edit, my boss shoots and edits. I have shot a few and don't enjoy that part as much. I have been editing these things for 4 years now so I have some idea what I am talking about.

Looking good though, especially for a first attempt :wiggle:

6. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

7. Climbing Cracker

agreed. i gotta work on that or get some sort of steadicam device. i've been looking at the Varizoom DV rig. Any tips on minimizing shake?
    good idea. i did get tired of the zooming. i was a little irritated when i got it in post and did a :uh: a few times. whenever i get the urge to hit the zoom, i'm forcing myself to wait about 10 seconds, it gives me time to think and it allows for, well, no zoom. I used your trick on the wedding rings, it's a wonderful trick, it's just not in the montage.

hmm, okay. you're the 2nd person to tell me that, so i'll make a note of it.
    :coold:

thanks for the CC! :rofl: @ cross dissolve, it seems to be a fail-safe transition for sentimental video.

On a sidenote, i bought "Advanced Broadcast Techniques", a DVD on shooting styles. I don't want to stagnate.

8. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

Its hard to not stagnate in wedding videos I believe. I have seen some edgy work and it still is just a wedding :/ I feel there is more creativity in photography. Next time you do this, it will be extremely easy in comparison. You know the shots to get, the shots you missed, and just have to work a bit on technique and post.

Something else interesting, not sure how cool this is to other people. My boss shoots about 10 minutes of super8 every wedding, then gets the reels processed and mixes it in with the video. Whenever potential clients are there watching the sample videos, the ooohs and ahhhs amaze me :big grin: Its just a little extra effort that really adds to everything. Like when the bride is getting out of the car, he has his main camera in one hand and the super8 cam with a wideangle on it in the other. He just guesses where its aimed and it always looks killer.

Are you doing this as a second or first job? Or just for people who ask you, ie family and friends. I am pretty bored with it and I think I want to start 2nd shooting weddings with a photographer.

9. Climbing Cracker

this is a 2nd job. i took an interest in video production in college. a buddy of mine in a professional photog who shoots weddings. he wanted to partner with someone who did video and I just happened to be looking for video work. I'm interested in photography also, but for whatever reason I seem to have an easier time with a video camera.

i showed this same video to two females, both got choked up a little, lol @ wimmins.

10. Climbing Cracker

bookmarked! that is incredible. :eek3: i love how it's a movie trailer. :bowdown:

there is a transition in there, during the first wedding trailer transitioning between the wedding and the caddy outside, it's at 105-106. i want to know what that is. i've been looking for that. it's like a rushing side wipe. reminds me of a subway speeding by :dunno:

11. xconverge

xconverge OT Supporter

Yea, I mean I think the shit is boring and I am so desensitized to it. I feel no emotion when I am editing, I watch the fucking news as I do it sometimes. If it is a fat girls wedding, I can't get myself to work on it and it takes forever. The client will be choked up 98 percent of the time. My bosses turn around time is close to a year and he is not cheap whatsoever, he is high end. Yea he gets aggrivated phone calls but then when they get their wedding dvd's they tell all their friends to hire him haha