GUN throwing knives - help, looking for a gift and i donk know anything about these

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by bigman7903, Nov 15, 2005.

1. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

throwing knives - help, looking for a gift and i dont know anything about these

ok, since the holidays are rolling near i was thinking about getting my brother a set of throwing knives, hes been into that type of thing for a while but doesn't have any decent quality knives, and i know next to dirt about them :ugh:

what brands/type are good?

looking in the $30-$40 for hopefully a set of two or three but would rather spend $40 on a single "good" one over 3 decent ones, quality>quantity, he's got legs he can go pick the damn thing up everytime

what blade metal, 440c, aus8, ?

Thanks guys :x:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

I'd just buy him a couple of the Cold Steel True Flight Throwers, they're made of good carbon steel (Cold Steel's Carbon V) and have a nice paracord wrap. You can get the factory seconds for like $15 a piece from their website. They look like this:

[​IMG]

3. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

i want some throwing knives too.. I think I might just get the cheap $3/15 ones from cheaperthandirt.com

4. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

Those are good to learn on, but they will bend easily and get old fast. The True Flight Thrower from Cold Steel is very good, it is without a doubt my favorite throwing knife. Another good style is the original Gil Hibben throwing knife, there is also a cord wrapped version but I havent tried that one. I think it was selfdefenseproducts.com that sold the Hibben throwing knives, and I know CTD carries Cold Steel knives now, last I heard they had the True Flight for $16.

5. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

the true flight is a high carbon steel, alrighty

however all the other ones are 420 J2 steel, wouldnt those dull pretty quickly?

6. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

420 is very soft stainless thats used alot in dive knives and cheap knives. I wouldnt buy any knife using it.

7. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

thats what i was thinking, buit they all seem to be 420, even the colt ones, i wonder if there is a specific reasoning be hind this :dunno:

8. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

I dont like wrapped handles but thats just personal