Three movies based on cheap but brilliant theater plays

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by lionsgraphics, Mar 8, 2005.

1. lionsgraphics

lionsgraphics OT Supporter

Watched 'em recently and never got around to write about 'em, and now i'm extremely bored.

Anyway, it's three movies that are based on cheap theater plays that have only one setting. Meaning that there's no action, no change of scenery, just 2 hours of dialog.

First one i watched was "Tape" by Linklater, starring Hawke, Thurman and Leonard.

Movie takes place in motel room. Acting was good and convincing. Coolest part about the movie is dialog, cause it sounds like everyday conversation and very natural (until the last 30 mins). It has interesting plot and i never felt bored during the movie. Thought it was pretty good.

Second one i watched was "Big Kahuna" by Swanbeck (dunno who the fuck that is), with Spacey, DeVito and Facinelli (from fastlane).

I thought it was OK, plot was kinda meh, but Spacey was brilliant, imo that's his best performance i've ever seen (incl. American Beauty and Glengarry glen ross). So if you don't mind watching just brilliant acting on it's own then i guess i recommend it.

Third one is the "24th day"

A lil' extreme, but i thought pretty good drama, by Picirillo (dunno him either) starring that dude from X-men with laser eye. Thought acting was all right, but plot was pretty interesting and author had some really interesting thoughts that you can hear throughout the dialog. Thought provoking shit, for sure. Definately recommend it.

Anyway if you're tired of Bad Boys 2 and all other bullshit with shitload of special effects with shitty plots and shitty acting, and you don't have short attention span, then i definately recommend to see these independent flicks.

2. lionsgraphics

lionsgraphics OT Supporter

no love for movies with minimalistic approach :wtc:

3. johan

johan Active Member

If you like Linklater, Hawke and Thurman, watch Before Sunset (the sequel). The loose talky feel is great. It plays out in nearly real time.