Three mile slump

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by TheSpec, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSpec

TheSpec New Member

My father used to be an avid runner and he told me that a running buddy of his said to never train at 3 miles. apparantly for some reason when a person always runs three miles it causes a running funk. he says do three miles once in a while but train at either 2 or 4 miles.

Does anyone know if this is valid?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  2. texchef

texchef Guest

I can't see the point to that. If you have high endurance and can run then run til you get tired. If you have a high running tolerance and you cut it short you may feel shortchanged. I could be totally off the mark though.

3. xela

xela So say we all!

That seems pretty stupid to me.

4. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

seems logical to me.

5. xela

xela So say we all!

Well, considering that I read about the 5K training all the time I don't see how so many runners would do that if it put you in a funk.

6. knowledge

knowledge Bike Crew Lurker

That makes no sense. But, if you are training for a three mile race or soemthing, you should run more than 3 miles.

7. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

If you train at exactly the same distance every day, yes you will get into a funk so to speak and stop progressing. Its the same thing with weight training, if you use the same weight forever you stop progressing.

Back before I started lifting heavily I ran Cross Country back in high school. We would run from 1 mile speed drills to 10 mile endurance runs in order to keep our bodys in its toes and progress faster.

8. TheSpec

TheSpec New Member

Basically I am not training for races or anything. I just enjoy jogging a few times a week for my cardio workout regime AND I usually like to do about 30 minutes of cardio...which for me is about 3 miles. No biggie...just wondering if it would take away from my "shape" level by staying at that mile point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.