MIL Thoughts?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by teabagn, Sep 1, 2009.

1. teabagn

teabagn New Member

I'm DEPd into the Navy as an E2, but am just over half way done with my associates. Lately I've kind of been thinking of leaving the DEP, completing my bachelors, and going in as an officer. What are your guys' thoughts and opinions on this? So far my degree is geared towards Criminal Justice, and my GPA thus far is 3.0 (B average).

:)

2. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

It's alot harder to do it as an enlisted. Finish school.

3. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

cj is not a highly touted degree for the AF especially with only a 3.0

4. teabagn

teabagn New Member

Well I've taken Psychology classes too and had thought about majoring in that and leaving my minor be at Criminal Justice. And a B average doesn't look good enough?

Meh I'm kind of at a stall.

5. Julius

Julius Guest

you're only past your first year. i say finish the remaining three and improve your GPA. enlisted is not worth it in the long run.

6. kazimer

kazimer New Member

go ROTC once you transfer to a 4 year university , i would say change to a technical degree but in the end you will excel at what you enjoy.

edit: have you looked into the Army? what do you want to do in the Navy? Since you are majoring in Liberal Arts, I would recommend that you pick up a foreign language. Do something to make you stand out as an Officer.

If you study a critical need language as a cadet in Army ROTC, you get an extra bit of money in your stipend...something to think about

7. teabagn

teabagn New Member

I've thought about being an Army officer, I'm just not exactly sure how it all works. If I did that I'd love to get in somewhere on Intel or somewhere along those lines... TBH I'd love to be an interrogator, but I'm not sure where that all fits. Maybe a profiler or somewhere along those lines, but I'm not sure if that'd be something I'd have to wait for unitl after the military.

8. origin unknown

origin unknown OT Supporter

interrogator for the most part is enlisted position

9. teabagn

teabagn New Member

:eek3:

No shit? What MOS/rate would this fall under? Branched under Military Police somewhere?

10. teabagn

teabagn New Member

Okay I just did a quick little research on it, is the Army the only branch that offers these kind of jobs? I need to find my damn paper with my ASVAB scores to make sure I qualify, but damn this would almost be a dream come true.

11. teabagn

teabagn New Member

So I found my ASVAB sheet and am qualified for Army/Navy intel position. What I was really liking was the Army's 35M (Human Intelligence Collector) But I'm having trouble finding the Navy equivalent... Any body know if there is an equivalent or? I didn't even know this job existed when I enlisted (yeah I know great job educating my self :o )

12. kazimer

kazimer New Member

From what I remember the Navy's equivalent is called "CTI" do a google search or talk to your local recruiter

good luck. If you really want to be a linguist/interrogator. Enlist first, get the language school and training and then decide if you want to stay in the military and if you want to be an officer. With that being said, I would still recommend you finishing your degree before you join.

13. teabagn

teabagn New Member

QQ about security clearance. My mom was born in another country but became a naturalized citizen. Would this hurt my potential of gaining a secruity clearance? Or is a naturalized citizen just the same as a citizen? Her dad (my grandpa) was in the Army if that matters at all. Everyone else in my family was born here, and I have absolutly no criminal record, financial debts, or anything at all to hide.

14. teabagn

teabagn New Member

btw i know ive made a few threads that make me sound rather indecisive, but all this time in the DEP makes me want to think things through more thoroughly. i appreciate all the help you guys have given me.

15. kazimer

kazimer New Member

nope it just makes your investigation longer. my buddy's parents were born in vietnam and he has family still living there. he got his TS-SCI before me

16. teabagn

teabagn New Member

I checked into the CTI and it's still not quite what I'm looking for... I've got some serious thinking to do over this 4 day weekend.... PSYOPS, HUMINT, Counter Intelligence, and even Criminal Investigations are what I pictured my self doing in the military long before I enlisted, I just never really knew of these jobs.... Now that I know I'm qualified and that these jobs are available... Well I'm very interested in what the Army has to offer.

17. teabagn

teabagn New Member

BTW do you guys have any idea on how I should approach my recruiter with this? I've told him I want to look into these types of fields and when I talked to him yesterday he was too "busy" to help me out with this. WTF? I know we are a big office and all but seriously, a little help would be awesome right now. I'm just in the DEP, so I can still leave any time I want, but I'd like to start my military career off with some branch loyalty. Still though, if I'm not getting what I want to get out of it, looking at the Army is an extremly viable option.

Would being in the DEP and then leaving for another branch hurt me in anyway?

18. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

works fine for the army. ask me how I know :o

19. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Recruiters earn zero points for officer recruits. They only make money on the regular enlistees. So you're not going to find any traction with him on this one.

20. teabagn

teabagn New Member

Sorry, I forgot to clarify. If I went the Army route I would probably just finish my associates in CJ and reenlist and see where I go from there. Possibly green to gold or something if I chose to stay with that.

Major whats your MOS? You have a bachelors in CJ?

21. kazimer

kazimer New Member

That would work too. Just make sure to do all of your "cool guy training" while enlisted as it is much easier to get schools. If you like "doing the job" rather than managing either enlisted or warrant officer would be the route to pursue.

HUMINT Collector Teams are pretty neat positions. If I were an enlisted guy, I would have most definitely pursued HUMINT

22. teabagn

teabagn New Member

If I can I may just drop out of the Navy DEP and jump right over to the Army recruiters... Is there any way of knowing if this job is available without talking to the recruiter? I know on the about.military site they have listing that show Navy ratings and their manning level, is there something similar for the Army? Or would any of you know if this is an MOS that needs slots filled?