Thoughts on volume training?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by JeremyD, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

So, the routine that I've been on for a little while not is calling for a huge ramp up in volume. I know there are some schools out there that think high volume is the only way to pack on mass while others think high intensity lower volume work is. I'm just wondering what your thoughts are. I've just finished up my first day of superextrafuckingvolume and I'm not sure what to think. I'm in pain, and not in a good way.

On a side note, who even trains with high volume these days? I know most of the bigger name pro's out there now actually do less volume than the oldschoolers did and are bigger than them.

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

not a good comparison

3. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

you also left off alot of todays pro still train with tons of volume still and even heavier weight.

I myself like moderate volume, high intenisty, real short rests, and using a rep range that burns the shit out of me. I still use heavy weights as well. Using things like giant sets, drop sets etc, you can still go heavy and then drop to lighter weight to keep pumping blood in and get both worlds.

4. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Many people advocate not to do too much volume, especially when you're a noob, but I got to see that most of the bigger people began by doing LOTS of volume. John Berardi was one example (he's not huge but he put on 80 lbs I think). He tells hardgainers to train 3 times a week, doing like 4 exercises and 3-4 sets but when you ask him how he trained when he put 80 lbs in 2 years, he tells you that he lifted 2h a day, 6 days a week.
    Anyway, as long as you gain muscle mass, it's ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.