Thoughts on UPS systems?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by squink, Apr 24, 2006.

1. squink

squink New Member

Although I am not entirely sure how or if its true. I have managed to completely destroy most of my pc. Nothing works anymore, so I plan to build a new one. Problem is I still am worried that this will happen to my new computer too.

I asked about the power to my bedroom recently and I found out it is grounded but its connected directly to the upstairs bathroom, and while the outlet itself is not one of those with the test and reset buttons the room is connected to one like that. I am concerned that my room was the actual threat to my pc.

This said, I'm interested in UPS system that will protect my new PC from power fluctuations or anything else that may harm it otherwise. What kind of UPS should I look for... etc? And, If this doesnt seem like a good solution I would love to hear some other thoughts.

2. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Stick with APC or Tripp Lite... don't cheap out on it.

4. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

APC

lc

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

You can get an APC UPS that will protect you from surges, with a warranty on your PC equipment, for less than $50. You can get more battery life for more money, depending on how important that is to you... if your power ever goes out. APC is the way to go.

6. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

Yeah, I got an APC350 for likw 35 at best buy on sale, it keeps my computer minus monitor on for maybe 15-20 seconds, but for random power flickers and things like that it is well well worth it

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

For around $50, you can get 5-10 minutes for computer and monitor, I think.

8. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

9. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i'm going to go with the apc rs 800 br800blk.
    it's 800va with 7 outlets, 4 of them battery powered.
    i need something that will run my computer, lcd screen, and wireless mouse and keyboard for at least 3 mins, this claims over 5 mins at full load and 17 at half load
    it should do the trick

10. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yeah, something like that. We bought their 350W and 500W units for various computers at work this summer, and most of the standard PCs get 5-10 minutes on a 350. The only one we really had trouble with was the one dual G5 with a 21" monitor. On the 500W APC unit, it stayed on for maybe 30 seconds.

When I buy a new computer, I'll definitely be buying a UPS for it.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ugh APC isn't even that good. Especially not their desktop (crappy) line.

CyberPower is better. If you insist on APC, then at least get their business-line such as the RS-1000

12. TheRider

TheRider Geeky OT Supporter

I believe even the APC desktop line cuts in at 2ms. Do you know cyberpower is now, they used to be 4+ which is not good... to say the least...

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

failure rate on the APC home line is horrible. Not to mention poor/no line conditioning.

The CyberPower's that I've used ran everything off of the batteries while charging them (like the high-end APCs) The low-end APCs run of mains power.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

APC has an insurance policy, which is what you are looking for if you choose another vendor. The bottom line is that alot of us have experience with them, and their cheap models do work, and last at least 5-10 minutes until the battery fails. Use whatever vendor, we just know that APC will pay you if the surge kills your computer.

15. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Most vendors offer "insurance" on consumer models. It's not worth much in reality though.

16. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

My APC has saved my ass plenty of times at home, but I am too stupid to use it. It beeps loud as hell when power goes out and there's one button to mute, another to turn it off. Guess which button I ALWAYS HIT!!! marthafocker!!!!

17. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Ditto on APC... We use them here at work on our servers. It protects us great against brown-outs (which are pretty common in the summer here) and gives us more than enough time to shut down our servers if needed.

18. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

So don't do that ;)

19. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

We had a rack-mount system for a rack we hosted an application from for another company that served as backup for 3 servers, a firewall and a switch (big HP switch, none of this 2U crap!). When fully charged it would keep the system up for about 26 hours.

But man, when we had to replace the batteries (24 months FTL) that fucking hurt. Mucho $$$.

20. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:eek4: Jesus, that must be some big batteries.

21. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Nope. Just a bunch of small ones. We filled up the UPS and an add-on battery cage. It took up the lower quarter of the rack and used a 30A 210 outlet. That was fun to install. The batteries are the size/shape of a safe deposit box (short, wide, and loong). IIRC they cost about $300 to replace. Each. I think there were 16 total, but I could be off on that. It has been a while since I messed with it last.

22. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

You and me both, sir. Smart UPS 1400 is sitting in a closet for those very reasons.

23. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

We have about 6 servers here and we have one UPS per machine...

I've been at my company about 4 years and only had to replace batteries 3 or 4 times between the 6 units, which isn't too bad I guess. Since we use the smaller units, the batteries only cost $50-$60 to replace.

May not be the best solution, but it works well for us. I am going to be looking into getting one UPS to support all of our servers soon.

24. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

You can find larger APCs on eBay for relatively cheap. I picked up 3 brand new surplus Smart-UPS 1500s for $150 a piece. I get 25 minutes runtime on my tower (650 watt PSU), maybe an hour and a half on my Mac Mini/wireless router and a couple of hours of runtime for my LCD/home theater.

However, if you have a crummy circuit (over/under voltage, frequent spikes or drops) you should have it looked at. You'll trash your UPS and battery if you subject it to that torture long-term.

25. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

so, if i plugged a ups into a ups, and the power went out, what would happen?