GUN Thoughts on this handgun? - S&W Mod 915

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Bigsnake, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I'm staying at my parents this holiday and my dad knows I've gotten back into shooting and has been letting me borrow his handgun. He bought it many years ago when I was in grammar school.

It says on the box it's a Model 915 and it is a 9mm. But, I can't find anything on S&W's webpage. The closest gun on there is a Model 910. I'm wondering if it is the same gun but w/ a 10 round magazine as my dad's handgun has a 15 round one. I'm wanting to find a couple more magazines for it and a holster...

Also, anyone have any thoughts on this handgun? Good gun? Bad gun? Reliable? I know nothing about it. I figure, I'm getting to use it and will probably end up being given it so why not... If I had my digi cam here, I'd put up a pic.

Two other questions:
    1) When I eject the clip it falls out but then hangs in there the last inch. How do I loosen that up so it just shoots out?

2) Today the slide was failing to lock back after the last shot. What's the normal cause of that? I field stripped it and cleaned it today after the range and nothing looks broken from what I can see. It works fine now when I operate the slide by hand.

Thanks, Don't know much about semi-auto handguns yet but wanting to learn.

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Thanks, I'll look to see if I can see anything in the gun... I know their called magazines but for some reason I have habit of calling them clips when referenced to handguns. Don't know why. I want to get at least one more as he's only got one magazine for the thing. Having 15 rounds in the mag is nice compared to my 22/45 that only has 10, plus being a .22lr it eats them fast.

He rarely shot the gun... I believe he has only taken it out maybe 3 times in all the years he's had it so it probably has less than 500 rounds total through the thing if even that. I've already put 200 through it. I'm sure when I head back up to BR in a couple weeks I'll have used it more than he has.

For the slide do you use grease or oil?

3. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

oil and only put it on the rails.

4. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

915 is the 15 round model of the 910. Came in blue or stainless. The 915 was only made for a couple years and is somewhat rare. It was a favorite for many police agencies.

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

Both your problems may be caused by a bad magazine. If you have a well supplied gunshop close to you, take it down and try out a new magazine for it and see if both problems disappear.

6. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

Buzzzz thats when I stopped reading. Magazine>clip.

7. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Vermincelli, That's just what I was wondering about the 915. Thanks!

I guess I'll check out some of the local gun shops around here to see if they have any magazines for it. I'm guessing the 910's 10round mags will work in it also?

8. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

this isnt the forum to act like a tool. if you must, get at least 4k posts and a subscription.

9. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

the 910's and the M59 magazines will work. Just ask them if you can try a new magazine out to see if you have a bad one. They should gladly let you try it at the counter.

10. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

why order a mag online when not even sure if that is the problem? Just run down to a local store and test one out. If it does work, then buy it. If not, you haven't wasted 20-30 bucks.

11. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

I catch a lot of heat for it, but i love my SW guns. I've never had any issues with them, and I've owned a few. They may be heavy and not the coolest out there, but I like them. SW has never failed me.

12. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I got my email back from S&W.

The 915 was replaced by the 910.
    S&W sells 15rd mags for the 915 for $40 each!
    The gun also does not have a mag brake.