GUN Thoughts on this 1911

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyeLou, Jan 18, 2009.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

2. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Someone offered him $500 on the second page and he declined. He also said it comes with a second pair of grips. I don't like the ones pictured either. I figure if that's the worst of it I'm not concerned.

3. Not a bad price at $550.

4. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

Good price, but right now my money would be going towards high cap goodness.

5. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Still waiting to hear from him. Assuming theres nothing out of the ordinary I might pick this one up.

And I do need some extra magazines for my CZ's. My SP01's will be a rarity for a few years it looks like.

6. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

I'd be all over it if he was local to me.

Springfield 1911 crew :wavey:

7. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

What's the big differences in all of them? I know the GI one for sale there is sort of the 'base model' going off price. What do you gain in the other ones?

I am new to 1911's but I realize you can pretty much upgrade anything, correct? I'm not a fan of the style trigger on the GI but that's not a huge issue at all. Plenty of time to change shit.

8. sp00n155

literally any part of the 1911 you don't like you can replace. Most Springfield options from the factory are based on trigger/hammer/backstrap and site packages.

this is how mine came from the factory:
    [​IMG]

9. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

Double stack?

10. sp00n155

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

That's a little high for a GI Springer that's had no work to it done. That is price of it new here. I passed on one a few months ago for $400 and I've seen some go for 200-400$ used.

You can replace most/all the parts, but the most important is to clean up the actual slide, frame and fit of the barrel. My "Loaded Target" springer has tool mark all over it, and had to be cleaned up considerably.

I would see what he would want for just the pistol alone, but I think he has it overpriced 100-150 dollars. Then again it's as much as someone is willing to pay.

12. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I can't find any anywhere for as low as you're saying. I thought it was at least a decent price and everyone else seems to think so. MSRP is like $640 or so I thought.

13. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Hmm...maybe AB13 is on to something. At Buds Gun Shop the last one new went for about the same price. You can get a new Taurus PT1911 for about the same too and seems like the Taurus is a better buy than the GI model at least.

14. If you are looking at new 1911s in that price range, consider the STI Spartan.

15. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Ya know I had looked at their website and did like some of them. I was a little confused though. Their "Complete Guns"...are they really complete or is it just the main parts of it. Maybe I misread something on their website or looked too far in to it.

I love the STI guns...I see the one posted in WMD quite a bit. I'd gladly get one but I'm not looking for a project for my first 1911.

16. AB13

AB13 New Member

I've seen them sell locally here for $589 brand spanking new, and used for $450. The classifieds I frequent, I see them go for as little as $200 to $400. A couple years ago, they were giving these away at a lot of shooting comps, so people were practically selling them for dirt.

Throwing in a little ammo and some old holsters isn't worth $150 to me, and from what I have seen, price wise, a good deal is at $400 for the gun, $450 being the fair asking price, but not a screaming deal.

17. Their "complete guns" are truly complete. I use my Spartan in IDPA and USPSA and for general plinking. It's got a few thousand rounds through it at this point, and I don't have any complaints.

18. AB13

AB13 New Member

complete guns, means it's completely done, no fuss, just like you'd buy in the store.

19. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Pardon my ignorance, but what about the adjustable rear sight? Is it necessary to sight it in from the factory, and do you need to keep making adjustments from there to keep it spot on? Or can you set it and forget it.

The place I got my LMT lower from is also an STI dealer. I'll contact them tomorrow on pricing through them.

20. I actually never even touched my rear sight. It was right on when I got it. Sighting it in is no different than any other gun though. The adjustable rear just lets you fine tune stuff. Once it's set, unless you use radically different ammo at different distances it's going to be pretty close, it is a pistol afterall.

21. Here's my Spartan as it's set up for IDPA/USPSA.
    [​IMG]

22. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Beautiful. What grips are those? I prefer those over the wood look/color.

23. They're Alumagrips. I got the gun set up from SpringerPrecision.com I can't find the grips on Alumagrips' website that match mine exactly.

24. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

Out of curiosity what all have you changed?

Edit: Never mind. I just read on their website what they change, assuming that was all you've done.

25. The gun came with Ionbond CRC coating, which probably isn't worth it. If anything, the DLC (?) coating is the one to get. It also has a fiber optic front and rear sight, but the rods fell out of the rear, which is ok because they're not necessary at all. Without the rear rods, the rear sight is basically the same as the one that comes stock. It's got a slightly extended mag release from Wilson and the Alumagrips and the big Techwell magwell.