Thoughts on the Yamaha YZF600R?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Alt+F4, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

Local seller is getting rid of an '02 600R. 3500 miles, never down, asking $4500 but I'm working on that.

Any negative reviews of this bike? My F4i-owning friend said "don't waste your time, get an R6" but I'm not a fuckhead and I don't plan on going 200 miles an hour, racing, or doing anything stupid. So I assume the 600R will be fine for me as my first sport bike.

Thoughts?

2. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Should be fine as a first sportbike. It basically hasn't changed since it came out back in the 90s... At that time it was Yamaha's best 600cc sportbike but that all changed when the R6 came out. Yamaha kept it around much the same way that Honda has kept the F4i around.

By the way, tell your buddy to not waste his time with a F4i and just get a tobo'd/nos'd busa.

3. Alt+F4

Yeah my buddy is a total squid when it comes to bikes. He has like 2000 miles on his 02 F4i, never rides the thing, but now he's thinking about getting a 1000RR. So gay. We lift with a couple guys who own a Honda bike dealership, and he's so horny for them and wants to be just like them.

If he wasn't retarded, I'd show him the article I just read about how quarter mile times between the R6 and 600R differ by .4 seconds, and up to 10k rpms, the 600R is faster. Like it matters for going 70 on the highway to work anyways.... /rant.

4. Mischief

Mischief OT Supporter

we all dont need bikes that go as fast as they do. but a YZF600 is plenty fast. and a great bike if you ask me. get it and join the yzf crew here on OT. 4500 aint a bad deal i paid 2800 for a 97 with 25,000 miles.

http://www.yzf600r.com/phpBB2/index.php

5. bobomb

bobomb no torque, no care OT Supporter

I particularly like that bike.

6. Alt+F4

Sweet thanks! Just joined...

7. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I just got my 600r and love it. Definately a great bike and has a lot of available power. The comfort level on it is a lot better than the r6 as well because it's not a complete race bike.

8. Mischief

Mischief OT Supporter

i agree with this guy.

9. AMan

AMan ???????????

[font=&quot]The 600r was my 1st bike. I rode it for 3 years and loved every moment of it. No regrets here. There were 1 or 2 situations where I feel that if I were on an r6 or something similar, I would have laid it down. It’s forgiving. It has enough power so you wont get sick of it that quickly. Overall, it’s a great bike to grow into.[/font]

10. Alt+F4

Just had to bump my thread...BECAUSE I BOUGHT IT!!!

So psyched...

11. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

Make sure you post up some pics. Welcome to the Yamaha Crew :bigthumb:

12. Alt+F4

I will once I pick it up...should be Sundayish.

13. Orestes

Orestes Guest

congrats!
    the thundercat is a great bike and like someone mentioned, VERY forgiving! i too feel the same way... if i were on an R6, i feel i would've wrecked it several times by now. i've had my yzf600r for over a year now and still have a blast every ride. and don't listen to what squids tell you about not wasting your time with the yzf600r, it is more than a capable machine and it's mostly all about the rider. i went riding with a buddy that rides an 03 gixxer 600 and in the twisties... after 3 turns i lost him. actually made me paranoid, thinking that he crashed or something but every 3 turns or so he would disappear :big grin: yet, he still wants to upgrade to a gixxer750 or an R1, claims that the gixxer 6 is getting boring and too easy... damn gixxer riders

14. Orestes

Orestes Guest

btw, what's everyone's user name on the yzf600r board?
    <------ deftones :wiggle:

15. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

hell i even think that a 600r is overkill for a firstbike

16. Orestes

Orestes Guest

tell me about it.
    the very first time i hopped on my bike, i underestimated how much power a 600cc sportbike can put down. i didn't last more than 3 seconds on that sucker before it threw me off.

17. Alt+F4

I'm Proulx06 on that board. And Orestes...threw you off after 3 seconds? Storytime...

18. 86 Bird

86 Bird eh

:cool: Nice bike, I've ridden one a few times.

19. Orestes

Orestes Guest

yeah... i got the bike about 3 weeks before my scheduled MSF course and after about 2 hours of owning the bike, i just couldn't resist any longer :hsugh: the guy from the dealer that dropped it off for me suggested i don't practice in the apt's parking structure because the concrete is really slick but i hopped to it anyway. i throttled it and it was INSANE. i never felt that kind of pull from accelerating, anyway, one second i'm riding the next second i find myself on the ground sliding with the bike. funny thing is the whole time i was sliding, i was holding onto the handlebar with one hand... i didn't care what happened to me i was just worried about the bike getting damaged. as soon as we stopped sliding, i jumped up and immediately picked up the bike. my gf at the time ran over and kicked me for worrying so much about my bike rather than myself :hsd: