thought's on the new benz 230 kompressor

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by thafox, Jan 21, 2005.

1. thafox

thafox Guest

just post your comment's, i'm askin for a cousin of mine because he's heard lot's of bad thing's about them, just wanted to hear what OT euro import ppl had to say about that

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

besides being overpriced, hideous, and underpowered for a car of that class, what do you want to know?

3. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

The R170's aren't bad at all. Of course parts are expensive but whatever you want the end result to be it'd be a decent to ride to mod.

If I were building an SLK I'd go with an AMG look and buy some OEM stuff.

I like this SLK 32:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  4. thafox

thafox Guest

im just lookin for the dirt that my cousin is hearing, because he's interested in buying one but he's unsure at the moment, idk the rumor's he's hearing though

5. Ice Rado

Ice Rado New Member

u don't buy a mercedes thinking its gonna be cheap...even their cheap e-class is more expensive then most car makers most expensive cars...but the funny thing is u buy a mercedes and u know ur gonna get all 4 power windows :mamoru:

your not buying a neon/lancer/wrx here...ur buying a mercedes which means lux first...then power...for most of their cars

i say get a c230/320...its only an 18v sohc...so for a v6 thats probably the least beefed one u can find...and they squeeze a nice 180 out of it...and for the 320 they pull almost 220...which is very nice...and the torque is even better...biggest downfall isn't price/class its in...its the weight...it weighs a ton for what it is...

but modified it would be fantastic...because not only does the car look great (corrado styling) :cool:...it had a better drag coefficent then probably anything out there u can afford...so take into consideration some of those lil details...its a great lil car if u can afford a 320 sport...otherwise u could get better...but honestly u get too much badge w/ a kompressor...amg or c320 :bigthumb:

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you are looking for luxury and you want performance to go with it (and something that's not so feminine) I would go with the Volvo S40 T5.

7. DK

DK New Member

testdrive it. i don't particularly like the merc 4cyl kompressors, but if you want a comfy everyday ride that has a decent top speed and an ok-ish acceleration you should give them a try. your cousin that is, of course. i would always prefer the 320 6 cyl (you might wanna look at the diesels, too).

btw, @ your spelling: apostrophies (') are only used with the possessive case s (jason's car) not in plural: comments, lots. don't wanna be a smartass or rude here, but your post hurt my eyes.

8. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Take a look at W202 C-Class C230K's while you're at it.

9. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

:werd: If you go online and build a Jag XJ, you have like 4 options. Different stereo/DVD Nav, addition/removal of spoiler, rims and a something else. Not much you need to add when you get a car of that class.

You can get FWD or AWD with that too. I've been in the new S40's. They are very nice. You do get a lot, but my mom was telling me they want a lot for them once you start throwing in some of the more pricey options. But it would be a car to consider, totally new image.

I own a T5 Volvo. It's a Turbo'ed 2.3litre 5 cylinder. Just about the same thing as a 230Kompressor, except turbo, not s/c'ed.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  10. thafox

thafox Guest

so other than lack of power there's nothin really that bad about it then?

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I considered one for a while, and the way I wanted it:

Turbo
    AWD
    Leather
    Navigation
    Upgraded stereo
    HIDs
    Winter PKG
    6-speed

It was gonna be $31,000. That's not too shabby, imho. I own a 95 854 GLT (LPT) and it's great.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no, there's a lot that's bad about em. Besides using a mitsubishi engine and being an over-priced ugly piece of shit, well then I guess there's nothing wrong with it. But when I see "ugly" "overpriced" "mitsubishi engine" and "piece of shit" I tend to stay away from that vehicle.

13. thafox

thafox Guest

mitsu engine? in a benz...wtf?:ugh:

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, you do know that many compaines are comprised of more than just the "label" that you are buying, right? For example, ford also owns jaguar. Mercedes is part of the same family as other brands, such as dodge and chrystler. It is not uncommon for a "higer-end" label, such as MB, to use an engine or various other components from other vehicles. It is generally true that the low-end models of a high-end brand share the same platform and components as the low-end brand.

15. FredBull

FredBull *******

####___####___####___###_ #_______#__#___#_______#
    IBneverdrivenamercedes

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have 2 immidiate family members that each have 1. :mamoru:

17. Volkl

Volkl New Member

I'd tell your cousin to get the car. The engine is built by Mercedes-Benz, not Mitsubishi. The engine is dead reliable. My father's has 195K miles without a single problem (granted it is a W202, and he bought it used with 20K miles)

The car is not underpowered or overpiced. Granted it isn't going to run 13 second quarter miles, but that isn't what it is designed for. The engine has more power than the the BMW 325i and is cheaper than a Jaguar X-Type. The people that bitch about Mercedes quality going are going off simply what they have heard, not what they have experienced.

Mercedes has had a tarnished imagine lately with "quality concerns." Mercedes conducted a study as to the complaints owners have when they bring their cars in for service. The #1 complaint is a rattle in the glove box. The cause of the rattle? The key for the wheel locks.

Tell your cousin to get it, he won't regret it.

[​IMG]

18. spiffy_badrock

spiffy_badrock I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.

The looks of the sedan with the sports pkg is pure sex.
    [​IMG]
    Too bad the AMG rims arent as nice as the stuff on the base model. But I will agree, new the $38K Tag for the sedan is outrageous.(esp. when you compare it to other cars in its class, IS300, 325i, S40 T5) Depending on what he's looking for, Id say sit and drive most of the entry level lux cars and see how they feel. I havent sit in a S40, but I hope Volvo has worked out its quality control issues (esp. on interior matierials.) Ive always been partial to the CTS, but then again..its not a euro. None of the cars will have good pickup or acceleration, but then again its entry level, so you cant expect that much. But the Merc does have a lot of class behind it....Id say take a good look at the B6 A4's , since the B7's are coming down the pipe, I dont know when the push will start to get the B6's off the lot at dealers, it might work to ones favor.

19. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

Woodey fucking do you're an expert because of this :ugh:.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no, but I've had to go with them to the dealership numerous times to get em to fix their problems. And I've searched forums online to find additional complaints of the exact same issues to do so. I'd never buy one in my life -- if you're gonna spend that much money it better be something a heck of a lot nicer than that POS. I mean, for $10k less you can get a better-looking, more comfortable, faster, and more-reliable S40T5.

But hey, if you like the MB, that's your problem, not mine. :mamoru:

21. Ice Rado

Ice Rado New Member

hehehe the evo > you :mamoru:

22. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

You diss Volvo for interior then you dare mention Cadillac? :rofl: :rofl:

I have been in a new S40. Everything inside is snug and fits very well. The space behind the climate/radio controls is really neat. Quality control? Ford is doing it, they are using Volvo headrests in their Ford sedans.

23. spiffy_badrock

spiffy_badrock I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you.

I look at the interior of a Volvo every day and I hope that idiot at Gotenburg who was running quality control got fired. Please do not put words in my mouth. Notice, im not saying the interior if an S40 is bad, I said "I hope Volvo has worked out their quality control issues" . Maybe they have....according to you....Ill hold my opnion on the interior of the new S40 till I sit in/drive one. Ive looked and considered buying a CTS and it seems well put together, better so than the Volvo 850.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're the only one I've seen complain about their 850 interior. My only gripe is the stupid enviro-friendly glue on the airbag cover. Other than that coming up (and me using whetherstrip adhesive to fix that permanently) there's been no problems in my 854 nor my mothers 855.

25. Volkl

Volkl New Member

Volvos are prone to dash cracks and the leather seems to wear quickly