Thoughts on the following courses?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RotorBalls, Nov 4, 2003.

1. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

What classes do you think would be most beneficial of these to complete my MIS degree? I'm taking data warehousing for sure since I've already taken DBM and DBA. But I need to decide between these for two more classes:

4880 Systems Simulation and Modeling (3) Modeling and analysis of production and service systems using discrete-event computer simulation; discrete-event simulation mechanics, model structure, model building, modeling of complex systems; verification and validation; arrival processes; design of simulation experiments; and statistical analysis of systems.

3210 Advanced Technology for Personal Productivity (3) A study of the application of personal computers in the solution of a variety of business problems. The course includes a hands-on survey of the most prominent business software applications and an application project/s. Primary applications include HTML, spreadsheets, word processing, databases, graphics and multimedia.

4380 Distributed Technologies and Systems (3) The course introduces students to concepts, issues and tools needed to develop distributed computing systems. Topics include distributed systems architecture, middleware, Internet-based systems development, security and performance. Hands-on systems development using current technologies is provided.

4190 Process Reengineering with Information Technology (3) Examination of the issues of business process reengineering. Reengineering concepts and methods are introduced. Additional special project(s) are required.

2. samm

samm Next in Line

The one about distributed systems looks fun. Do you get to create clusters and write code using MPI?

3. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

I'd personally do 4880 (Systems Sim & Modeling) and 4380 (Dist. Tech & Systems)

4. RotorBalls

RotorBalls Gonz

3210 Advanced Technology for Personal Productivity 4380 Distributed Technologies and Systems

are the two I'm leaning toward for scheduling reasons, but I'm still considering the others as they might be more beneficial.

I didn't do well in statistics so I'm kinda hesitant on the 4880 Systems Simulation and Modeling course. That and I think I've heard bad things about the instructor in this course. But I'm still open to change my mind. Reg isn't until the 6th. Man I'll be so glad when I graduate next yer :hs: It's been a long time since I started in spring of 97